Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Snowy: Which breed of dog is he?

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

gallen
#11 · Posted: 1 Nov 2004 23:32
Hi all,

I thought Snowy would have been a Maltese Terrier?
rastapopoulos
#12 · Posted: 2 Nov 2004 10:34
The dog that played Milou in the live-action films was a wire-haired fox terrier.
I'm sure in one of the Tintin albums he is referred to as such? Which one I can't remember (if he is).
OJG
#13 · Posted: 2 Nov 2004 11:45
I've not seen the live action films but have seen screenshots from them, and that Snowy doesn't look right.
rastapopoulos
#14 · Posted: 2 Nov 2004 13:09
OJG dont you think this little doggie looks like Milou?

http://www.gorianet.it/tintin/dessins/toison_g.jpg
OJG
#15 · Posted: 2 Nov 2004 22:16
It looks perhaps a little more how I imagined Snowy than when I first looked at it, but still does not completely represent the dog I think of. I guess if you crossed this one and the last of kirthi's 4 pics then that would be something like I imagine. I picture Snowy as that 4th picture but maybe slightly longer. But It's hard to come up with a definitive idea from a cartoon-everyone's idea is probably slightly different.
kirthiboy
#16 · Posted: 3 Nov 2004 08:29
Actually there are two types of fox terrier - smooth and wire-haired; in early albums, such as Soviets, Hergé drew a wire-haired fox terrier, but later on he modified Snowy.

Anyway, I have done research on this, and never found a white fox terrier except for the West Highland one. It pretty much matches Snowy except the size.

I guess Hergé made his own version of the fox terrier.
rastapopoulos
#17 · Posted: 3 Nov 2004 09:47
kirthiboy:
I have done research on this, and never found a white fox terrier except for the West Highland one
Sorry, but a West Highland terrier is not a fox terrier, they are very different dogs.
They come from the same «terrier» family, but there are many types which look very different.
When I was growing up our family had an Airedale terrier (King of the terriers) and the distinctly box shaped head, much like a wire-haired fox terrier; a «Westie» doesn't have this boxy head, which Snowy certainly has.
My friend's Gran had a Westie and they are short, with longish hair, and her dog would attack my ankles when visiting.
Snowy is a short wire-haired dog (look at the subtle lines Hergé drew), and Westies have straight hair.

Update: If you look on the official Tintin site, there's a new section about Snowy, claiming «Snowy is an exceptionally white wire-haired fox terrier».
Robbie
#18 · Posted: 9 Mar 2007 12:41
I have a white minature schnauzer and everyone we meet comments on how he is so like Snowy in Tintin
Tintin Quiz
#19 · Posted: 12 Mar 2007 20:31
Can you post a picture? I'd love to find a Snowy.
indigoxstar
#20 · Posted: 15 Mar 2007 22:04
But didn't Tintin say Snowy was from Brussels in one comic?
How can he be a West Highland terrier, then, if they originate from Scotland?
Just pointing it out.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!