Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Tintin and Martine

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

bakerychaz
#41 · Posted: 21 Feb 2012 02:35
I really love the fact that Yves Rodier had Martine ask Tintin to meet her parents. I can imagine them having a future together. It sort of ended the series for good. I really liked that.
Furienna
#42 · Posted: 3 May 2012 19:36
I don't know... If you want to believe, that Martine became Tintin's girlfriend, you can do that. But if you don't want to, you don't have to either. Since we don't know how Hergé would have finished the adventure, we'll never find out for sure.
DarkSun
#43 · Posted: 5 May 2012 13:50
sliat_1981:
If Herge wanted her to be a love interest, he's have made her better looking.

Well, guess we'll never know ... If Herge had Haddock drinking in all the comics, why did he stop it in the last 2?
mct16
#44 · Posted: 5 May 2012 17:27
Personally, I think that Martine would have been just a one-off character or else just a friendly acquaintance. Somehow, I just cannot see Herge actually giving Tintin a girlfriend. He may have started to include important female characters like Castafiore, Irma or Mrs Alcazar, but Tintin's world is essentially a male-dominated one with little place for romance.
DarkSun
#45 · Posted: 6 May 2012 18:52
If Hergé made Haddock come off alcohol, I think anything is possible. We'll never know if Hergé intended to bring a female character in ...
Buttons4me
#46 · Posted: 10 Sep 2016 17:19
Wasn't this Alph Art the last comic Herge wrote? I think it's heavily implied that Tintin was going to end up with her. That's just my opinion though.
jock123
#47 · Posted: 10 Sep 2016 23:06
Buttons4me:
I think it's heavily implied that Tintin was going to end up with her.

Not in Hergé's version as it has come down to us, no. The "romance" angle was created by the fan-artists who came after him, but nothing about Martine Vandezande in the work of Hergé could be said to be "heavily" indicative of her being anything other than another passing character (there is very little about her in the book as we have it).
Buttons4me
#48 · Posted: 11 Sep 2016 14:06
jock123:
Not in Hergé's version as it has come down to us, no.

Well, I mean if one was going to slowly introduce a character, it doesn't mean they have to have their entire background jammed into one book, and then have a Disney marry me right now moment. It could have happened over time, slowly. That is the impression I got anyway.
jock123
#49 · Posted: 11 Sep 2016 16:46
Buttons4me:
it doesn't mean they have to have their entire background jammed into one book,

No, true, but the original post you made says that Hergé "heavily implied" a romance, when no, he doesn't; it is just as possible that Martine would have turned out to be a baddy as that she was intended to be a love interest, but there is nothing to go on in either way. As it stands, she had a function in the plot, exactly as Mrs Snowball, or Mrs Finch or Mrs Alcazar or any of the other passing ladies of the books have had before, and nothing to say that Hergé would have given a second thought to making a romance of it.
Buttons4me
#50 · Posted: 12 Sep 2016 18:08
jock123:
As it stands, she had a function in the plot, exactly as Mrs Snowball, or Mrs Finch or Mrs Alcazar or any of the other passing ladies

Good points and yes I agree, actually now that I understand. Herge didn't intend it because he didn't write the story in it's entirety. However, I will say this.....it's not a common accurance in Tintin, that a girl asks him to dinner to meet her parents. A young girl.
Now this is just before the story ends.
Take the new Star Wars film for example, George Lucas is sliced from the production of the new stories. He has no say at all, but the story as it is now, is considered canon, even though the creator of the saga isn't attached to the product as a whole. Not entirely anyway. So.....maybe Herge didn't intend for Martine to be a love interest, but there is something odd about how they ended the last story. It is a nice ending that fans can put together in whatever way they want. Personally for myself, I think the intention they were driving towards with Martine was....ok this girl clearly has a thing for Tintin, whether he is interested or not, we don't know....and we never will know for sure, because it's left open ended, but the impression that was left was she asks him to dinner, meet her parents, young woman....just the impression I got anyway and it is a nice ending.

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!