Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: His real name, or a nickname?

Page  Page 9 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

GSC
#81 · Posted: 26 Nov 2011 16:53
I've been reading King Ottokar's Sceptre for the past two days.

While I was reading it yesterday, something came across my mind. In the whole entire Tintin series, from Land of Soviets to Alph-art, we never find out Tintin's last name.

I've been wondering what would be a good last name for Tintin, but I can’t seem to think a good one up.

What do some of you think would be a good last name for Tintin?

Moderator Note: Why do you assume it’s his first name…? ;-)
As there is already this existing thread speculating about Tintin’s name, real or otherwise, your poast has been moved here.

The Tidy Tintinologist Team
GSC
#82 · Posted: 27 Nov 2011 22:02
Moderator: Why do you assume it's his first name?

I may have found proof that "Tintin" is Tintin's first name from Tintin and the Picaros. On page 30, frame 8, the Captain is hit on the head with a bottle of "Loch Lomond" by a monkey, which sends the Captain silly.

On page 31, frame 2, Tintin and the Captain have a conversation

Tintin: Look, captain...
Captain: Who's captain here, you or me?
Tintin: You, of course; you're Captain Haddock...
Captain: How ridiculous!... What's my first name, then?
Tintin: Archibald, isn't it?
Captain: Even worse!... What's yours?
Tintin: My name's Tintin.
Captain: Grotesque!

The part that gets my attention is where the Captain asks what Tintin's name is.

The frame before the Captain asks what his first name is.

So basically, when the Captain asks what Tintin's name is, it can be presumed that the Captain is asking what Tintin's first name is, so it can also be presumed that "Tintin" is Tintin's first name.

P.S: this is just a theory. I'm not completely sure yet, but I am pretty sure.
jock123
#83 · Posted: 28 Nov 2011 11:00
GSC:
when the Captain asks what Tintin's name is, it can be presumed that the Captain is asking what Tintin's first name is, so it can also be presumed that "Tintin" is Tintin's first name.

Possibly, but the exchange starts when they are simply discussing names – the Captain doesn’t recollect any name for Tintin, so Tintin gives him the name by which the Captain knows him, just as he called the Captain “Captain”, not “Archibald” or “Haddock”, when he spoke to him after the blow to his head.

It still also can’t be ruled out that Tintin only has one name. The magician Teller, of Penn & Teller, legally changed his name to “Teller”, and has a passport in that name alone, so it’s not unknown or impossible.
mct16
#84 · Posted: 28 Nov 2011 12:46
Short for "Tintinger", perhaps?

It could be that Tintin is like Inspector Morse who was christened Endeavour Morse and just stuck to "Morse".

How would you like to be christened "Golden Hind Tintinger" or "Pinta Nina Sainte-Maria Tintinger"?
Ginger_Tuft
#85 · Posted: 3 Dec 2011 12:20
I was wondering that too. He's an intriguing character no doubt. We don't even know if he has a family somewhere, and we never see him get a girl, which, in fact, is a quite a sad aspect of the comics.
But does it matter what his last (or first) name is?? That which we call a snowflake by any other name would be unique; so Tintin would, were he not Tintin called.

((seriously though. We need to conduct a seance with Herge and wring the truth out of him.))
Star Child
#86 · Posted: 6 Mar 2012 16:50
jock123:
He surely has parents and a family name, and that therefore he never states a full name whatever the situation.

Well, I'm not being rude...But how do you know there's proof that Tintin's got a family name? Tintin does not say anything about a family throughout the series. Tintin is a nickname for names sounding like 'Martin' or 'Austin'. I'm not saying his full name is anything along the lines of any name, but to me, it's a long shot.

His name is Tintin after all!
>>Kelsey<<
jock123
#87 · Posted: 6 Mar 2012 18:53
Star Child:
But how do you know there's proof that Tintin's got a family name?

(Allowing for the fact that that is a comment I made eight years ago, and the conversation has moved on a lot since then… ;-))
Because if he had parents, and they were Belgian, it is almost impossible to imagine a scenario in which there would not have been a family name…? It’s not impossible, as I said above, when I gave the example of Teller, but then Teller actively had to have his fore-names removed, and that is for legal purposes: he still has a family, and those names could be applied if you were identifying him as part of the famly unit, and genealogy (although I imagine he could object if you insisted on using those names to identify him as himself for other purposes…).

Star Child:
Tintin does not say anything about a family throughout the series.

It doesn’t mean he didn’t have one, does it? He has to have come from somewhere, after all… ;-)

In the event that there was some situation in which he has no knowledge of his family (say he was left on the door-step of an orphanage), he will have been given a second name…

Star Child:
I'm not saying his full name is anything along the lines of any name

I’m sorry, I don’t follow what you mean…
Star Child
#88 · Posted: 8 Mar 2012 18:52
jock123:
In the event that there was some situation in which he has no knowledge of his family (say he was left on the door-step of an orphanage), he will have been given a second name…

That's what I thought at first!

But, about Tintin and his 'full name', I actually realised it was not the right grammar, so what I mean is that his name could and could not be something along the lines of a name like Martin...
mdg5098
#89 · Posted: 8 May 2012 01:33
My son is named Martin. He has been called Tintin since birth-a dimutive nickname. I presume our Tintin character is also Martin, if the truth were told.
tintinlover
#90 · Posted: 25 Mar 2014 22:10
First of all...
Martin isn't like him...
I mean you can't call him Martin - it just doesn't work right with who he is or his face...
Anyway Tintin is a French name...:-)
None of you thought of this one now .....
So it can have any relation with any English names for sure.

Moderator Note: Welcome to the forums. We appreciate your enthusiasm, but would point out that, nine pages into a discussion, many members have expressed opinions and ideas, so it's not particularly sensitive to come straight in and tell them that they haven't been thinking about the issue at hand.
You should also be aware that "Martin" is just as much a French name as it is an English one - in fact more so, as the name became popular through devotion to St. Martin of Tours, a bishop of that city. Martin was originally from Hungary, so the name is found all across Europe.

The Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 9 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!