Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Jules Verne

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

tintinsgf
#41 · Posted: 21 Jan 2012 11:25
Well, thank you very much for the reminder, mr. Moderator :). I should have been more calm down while online (not only here, every where).

I was just pointing out something like "If you don't like it, don't talk about it", yet apparently I was out of control (not mentioning that I didn't really think well).

Anyway, I've opened North American Jules Verne Society, but I can't see the link to the forums. Can someone here help me about this?
Tintinrulz
#42 · Posted: 21 Jan 2012 14:03
Herge, Son of Tintin by Benoit Peeters suggests it was one of Herge's first assistants - the first Jacques (can't remember his surname) who permeated the Tintin adventures with inspiration from Jules Verne, especially during the war years. Apparently, Herge wasn't much of a reader at that time.
mct16
#43 · Posted: 21 Jan 2012 17:27
Tintinrulz:
the first Jacques (can't remember his surname)

Jacques Van Melkebeke, who is quoted as saying that, when they first met, Herge had only read three novels. Herge himself admitted to not having read Jules Vernes in a 1979 interview.

Mind you, Herge got a lot of his inspiration from news and current affairs and it may have been that aspect of it that make it appealing to both adults and children.

Harry Hayfield:
I cannot see much of a connection between Tintin and the works of Jules Verne. I suppose that some people might say "Off on a Comet" and "From the Earth to the Moon and Back" have a connection to "The Shooting Star"

Apparently "Off on a Comet" features a scene with a spider and a telescope which Tintin himself experiences in "Shooting Star" (but I haven't read the Vernes story myself) and the fast-growing trees and mushrooms on the meteorite come from another Vernes story "Dr. Ox's Experiment".
Harry Hayfield
#44 · Posted: 21 Jan 2012 21:10
tintinsgf:
Anyway, I've opened North American Jules Verne Society, but I can't see the link to the forums. Can someone here help me about this?

You need to read the front page of the Forum website very carefully, when you have done you will be able to access the Forum
mct16
#45 · Posted: 18 May 2012 12:27
I've been reading an extract from the Archives Tintin which mention the scene in "Broken Ear" when Ridgewell uses ventriloquism in order to make his enemies' idol speak and thus compel them to release him and Tintin.

This is similar to a scene in Verne's "Caesar Cascabel" in which the titular hero uses a similar trick on some hostile natives. However, the writers of the Archives Tintin point out that Herge only ever read Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and found it so unrealistic that he avoided reading any more of his novels.

They suggest that if Herge had heard of the "Caesar Cascabel" scene then it would have been through word-of-mouth or by reading an article that mentioned it - a critic's review or a chapter of "Cascabel" being published in a magazine or something.
Momber
#46 · Posted: 21 May 2012 16:35
I thought that Ridgewell was inspired by Colonel Fawcett who vanished on his 4th (I think) expedition in the Amazon (1924 or 25). During the next few years several people went on expeditions to find him, but came back with-out definite proof of what became of him. His son Brian Fawcett wrote an excellent book called "Exploration Fawcett" about the expeditions of his father. It is still in print and available from Amazon. A fantastic book full of exciting adventures in the Amazon rainforest!

It was because of Tintin and Jules Verne that I became interested in travelogues in far away exotic places and survival memoirs. Non-fiction that reads almost like fiction!
tintinsgf
#47 · Posted: 6 Jun 2012 01:27
Harry Hayfield:
(not to mention having blogged on a number of Vernian characters)

I saw your "blog"post at the Jules Verne forum archive on Phileas Fogg. I think those entries are awesome! I love it, really love it! Thank you for writing those, Harry :D.

Still about the NAJVS forum, I've searched the front page, and didn't find the forum link. Is the forum link open for public/for members only?
Roby
#48 · Posted: 20 Mar 2015 04:54
Hi all. I am glad I found an English language forum for Tintin lovers. I am looking forward to many informative exchanges with people on here.

My first post is about a subject that concerns me. It is the accusations of Herge of plagiarizing Verne. I heard and read a lot about it, being a Tintin fan since the 1980s, but after learning to use the internet I found more sources with clearer comparisons between the works of the two men. For example this French page, that can be easily understood using google translation.

http://verne.jules.free.fr/bd/Herge.htm

It is obvious that there is more than being inspired by him. I would call it direct copying of ideas, scenes, and entire plots other times. This bothers me a lot because I love Herge and Tintin, but I just keep thinking that all those adventures I loved were not original ideas nor as creative as I thought since they are largely copied from previous works. I was wondering what you think about this subject?

Regards.

Moderator Note: Hello and welcome! Your post has been moved to this existing thread. As you will see, Hergé and Jules Verne is a topic which has come up before, and been discussed at some length (it's why we recommend a forum search before starting a new thread), so perhaps some of your questions have been answered?

The Tidy Tintinologsit Team
jock123
#49 · Posted: 21 Mar 2015 01:26
I can't say that I can see much that's compelling in the article to be honest - many of the similarities are very loose indeed, and even when they overlap, they are more in the nature of resorting to clichés on the parts of both authors.

Add to this the human capacity for drawing patterns and order from random chance, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over the charges of the article.

For example: the suggestion that The Castafiore Emerald is specifically based on L'Étoile du sud (The Vanished Diamond) seems to be largely based on the fact that both deal with vanished jewels; a stock in trade if ever there was one.
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins pre-dates the Verne, and is also about a lost stone of considerable value and size - are we to accuse Verne of plagiarism? Probably not, because, it has been said, Verne didn't actually come up with much of the plot of L'Étoile du sud himself anyway: it was quite probably a re-written version of a manuscript by Paschal Grousset, which his publisher gave to Verne to rewrite as his next book.

So do we accuse Grousset of taking Wilkie Collins's idea, or Verne of taking Grousset, or Hergé of plundering Wilkie Collins by way of Verne and Grousset?

It's always going to be possible to find links and paths and ways of seeing similarities in works of fiction (which is partly why it is said that there are only seven basic plots); the author of the article says that finding the lost diamond in the stomach of an ostrich is like Tintin finding the lost jewel in the magpies nest - except that the influence, which is entirely obvious, on that aspect of the plot is in fact the thieving magpie of Rossini. The Verne is much more like the resolution of The Blue Carbuncle by Conan Doyle in which Sherlock Holmes finds a lost jewel in a Christmas turkey, but it is far more likely that both men had heard tales of other valuables being found in the stomachs of animals or fish or whatever, as these stories come up in both fiction and reality.

Similarly, try Googling for stories of large birds carrying off dogs, or children or other animals (an elephant, if one reads the story of the Roc) - these are found in reality, not just fiction and are reported as modern news, not just old wives' tales - not original to Hergé, but by the same token, not original to Verne.

You could also look at something like the Moon books and say that the Apollo space programme was "plagiarised" from Verne - three men in a capsule, which is more or less the same proportions as the command module of the Saturn V, launch from Florida, go to the Moon and return to splash down in the Pacific, experiencing weightless, liquids turning into floating spheres, and the effects of differences in gravitational forces along the way. Just because these parallels exist doesn't actually mean anything - they just hold up the quality of scientific thinking at the time when Verne did his research, or that sometimes coincidences happen.
The comparison also ignores all the things he got wrong (the use of the gun to launch the capsule, the fact that gravity from the Earth and the Moon doesn't act on the astronauts all the way, with weightlessness only happening half way, etc.) which Hergé doesn't incorporate, showing that Hergé too was acting on accumulated scientific research, rather than Verne, for his voyage.

Ice on the moon wasn't a theory unique to Verne, it was a serious scientific line of enquiry, and Hergé was acting on the advice of astronomers (including Patrick Moore) when he incorporated such things into the story, because real astronauts would look for water when they eventually reached the Moon (and they found it, although they actually didn't believe their own results for decades...).

So, no, I'm not convinced... ;-)
Roby
#50 · Posted: 21 Mar 2015 06:57
Thank you lots Jock for the analysis. What do you think about the Shooting Star, with a meteorite falling, new metal discovered in it by spectroscope, a party goes out to find it, island where things grow up quickly, and even the spider on the telescope and giant spider? These are all elements from Verne's books as well. Are these more compelling?

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!