Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: General discussion

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Balthazar
#61 · Posted: 23 Jun 2012 12:53
Colonel Jorgen:
Torz:
I've been watching Tintin on Blu Ray recently, and as someone who hasn't read the books - am I missing out on much?

Colonel Jorgen:
So (in my very biased opinion!) I heartily recommend buying the books.

Hi Torz, and a warm welcome to the forums. Personally I'm with Colonel Jorgen on this, though no doubt it comes down to personal preference. It depends on who you ask, and all opinions and preferences are welcome and respected here.

To me, the TV cartoon episodes I've seen seem to miss most of what I like about the original books: the drawing ability, visual style, the background detail, the subtle humour, Hergé's ability to pace a story, the narrative sophistication, most of the interesting political satire, social observation and moral themes. Of course, some fans of the TV series (and its producers) might argue that these aspects are things you appreciate more as an adult reader and that they're therefore things that a TV series for children could afford to lose. But it's actually the things that most drew me to the Tintin books as a child - the crisp clear-line visual style and the richness and sophistication of the pictures and stories - that I most miss in the TV series.

But obviously to other people, particularly those who watched the series when children, the TV series has it's own merits - the music, the voices, its own style and charm, etc - and, as I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't want to trash that.
Torz
#62 · Posted: 23 Jun 2012 18:09
Thanks for the response. And I appreciate the warm welcome. :)

I did somewhat notice a bit of a feeling that some episodes were lacking parts of it that, while deemed insignificant to the plot direction (limited time space), fleshed it out and made it a more fluent experience. Of those that Jorgen mentioned, Shooting Star and America (felt a little 'samey') were probably the main culprits. Of course, I haven't quite finished the series, so there may be more further on.

The voices and music are definately something that to this point have defined tintin for me. I think the main thing I'm considering is, am I going to be surprised at all when I read the books?

Or am I simply going to be following the same story with a few added scenes and easter eggs. Though so far, you're doing a good job of convincing me!
Colonel Jorgen
#63 · Posted: 24 Jun 2012 12:05
Torz

At the risk of going off-topic, I hope that I can help you when it comes to what to actually expect from Herge's original books.

In terms of plot, the aforementioned Tintin in America and The Shooting Star will probably have the most new elements; however, many of the other books have subplots and subtexts that were not carried over to the TV adaptations, as well as characters who have had their roles telescoped. You will be following essentially the same story, but it is a more layered story with more political satire present. There additions I would say are more than Easter Eggs, but the main plot is basically the same. I hope that helps!
Torz
#64 · Posted: 24 Jun 2012 16:07
Sounds good. I think what I might do is get one of the books for an episode that I've not yet watched, then watch the cartoon for it and see what the difference is. That should give me a good understanding of the differences. Thanks!
mct16
#65 · Posted: 24 Jun 2012 18:10
A friend once asked me if he could borrow books from my Tintin collection in order to see if it was worth him buying any. I recommended he start with:

"Crab with the Golden Claws",
"Secret of the Unicorn" and
"Red Rackham's Treasure", in that order

since they are stories drawn at the time when Herge was at the height of his art work and also introduced some of the main supporting characters.

He enjoyed them so much that he borrowed more ("just to be sure") and I had a hell of a job getting them back and telling him to buy his own copies!

Perhaps borrowing copies from the local library would be a good way to start.
Torz
#66 · Posted: 1 Jul 2012 14:22
Decided to pick up the Calculus Affair (being one that Jorgen mentioned), which worked out well as it's what I'm up to in the cartoon. Will let you know what I think of the differences once I'm done!

Also going to order in some of the other books. :)
BlackadderFan
#67 · Posted: 27 Mar 2013 22:00
Although I loved the TV series when I was 8, now I simply can't get past some of the voice acting, especially Tintin with a Canadian accent! A Belgian or maybe a British accent would have been more suitable since most of the other characters had British accents.
Some of the episodes were just awful, like Tintin in America
50 Spann
#68 · Posted: 28 Mar 2013 18:32
I'm a bit divided on the Ellipse-Nelvana series... I give it credit for introducing me to Tintin, and I appreciate that they tried to be faithful to Hergés stories and art style.

However, as has already been pointed out, they did manage to make some pretty annyoing changes from the books - especially The Shooting Star and Red Rackham's Treasure, from which a lot of stuff was cut. The Swedish version, which I grew up with, also has some very awkward voice acting that almost ruins the show for me.
number1fan
#69 · Posted: 28 Dec 2013 21:53
For the first time in years i re-watched all the Ellipse-Nelvana this time on Blu Ray.All the Episodes on the Blu Ray are superb apart from The Secret of the Uniform seems to have had no enhancement to the picture.

In the Crab with the Golden Claws Part 1&2 for some reason when Tintin is following Allan towards the end he refers to him as a Diamond smuggler.I am not sure if this is some reference to Tintin Au Congo. (Where is you trace back who is involved that would make sense).However if the censors in North America did not want to make to many references to drugs is that why the scene was dubbed to say Diamond Smuggler?.

In the Episode Explores on the man i distinctly remember a gun shot being fired and killing Colonel Jorgen.Though all you see is the actual rocket it self then a cutback to the fight that Wolff and Jorgen go into.I am pretty sure in the original run you heard the gunshot.In the Blu Ray version there is no gunshot?.

Have the censors been at this in some capacity?.

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!