Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Sherlock Hound?

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 31 Jan 2010 12:47
The Sherlock Hound series is out on Region 2 DVD tomorrow, exclusive to HMV.

I haven't seen it - I wonder if anyone else here has?

It was a manga series made by the studio who made Spirited Away.
Grey
#2 · Posted: 31 Jan 2010 16:08
Sherlock Hound was made by Hayao Miyazaki and by the studio who would later become Ghibli.

I've watched it, and I quite enjoyed it. I now also understand why whenever I type in 'Sherlock Holmes' on DeviantArt, it comes up with an anthromorphic Holmes in Victorian clothing.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 31 Jan 2010 17:08
Grey:
Sherlock Hound was made by Hayao Miyazaki and by the studio who would later become Ghibli.

I thought that Miyazaki San’s contribution to the series was limited?

He did direct six of the episodes (two of which were later combined to form a movie-length release), but the remaining 20 were directed by Kyosuke Mikuriya - who also was a director on the Ulysses 31 series.

Studio Ghibli was founded after Sherlock Hound was made, and it is a different company; Hound was made for Tokyo Movie Shinsha (TMS Entertainment), which is still in existence, making both movies and TV shows - the latest being the current Saint Seiya (Zodiac Knights) series.

I’d quite like to see this, so thanks for mentioning it, number1fan; it interests me both because of the Sherlock connection, which I like, and an opportunity to see how it compares to Grandville, Brian Talbot’s anthropomorphic animal steam-punk Victoriana murder mystery comic series…
number1fan
#4 · Posted: 1 Feb 2010 13:04
I purchased the DVD Boxset from HMV in Piccadilly this morning, and having just watched the first episode can say it's pretty good stuff.
I'm very new to Manga style, I never really cared much for it.
Nevertheless, this little box set is great and it's only available for a limited time from HMV.
Furienna
#5 · Posted: 1 Aug 2012 22:40
I haven't watched the show yet, but I like the theme song (even if the lyrics are way over the top).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!