Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

"The Scarifyers", and other Audio Adventures!

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 3 Apr 2012 22:48
Sapristi:
it also stars the late Philip Madoc- who sadly died a few weeks ago. He was Brother Cadfael in the BBC radio plays, and featured many times in the old Doctor Who series- perhaps most memorably as Solon in "The Brain of Morbius."

I once met him at a Doctor Who convention in Manchester, and he was a very nice gentleman, so he will be missed. My friend who was with me had brought a photograph for him to sign: it showed Solon in his lab, probably wrestling with the Morbius creature, and was ideal for signing because Solon was dressed in a white surgical smock, with acres of room for a signature and a dedication if one was forthcoming.

Mr. Madoc took the photograph, offered some little anecdote about recording the scene (I think it was about the actor in the Morbius suit not being able to see out during the fight, meaning that Solon had to sort of keep allowing himself to be caught), and then said, "I'll be careful not to spoil your nice photograph...!", and wrote a message and his signature in tiny letters around the border of the print...w
Sapristi
#12 · Posted: 14 Apr 2012 15:19
I'd imagine it was well intentioned, but it'd be trickier to frame!
Horror of Lock Ness now has a trailer and is available to pre order.
I ended up getting the box set of Jago & Litefoot series 4, and had a very enjoyable day yesterday listening to it all the way through while I worked, and had a big smile on my face at the end!
Sapristi
#13 · Posted: 14 Apr 2012 17:05
"Loch" not "Lock" -honestly... Don't know where my brain went then... And i can't edit on this iPhone!
jock123
#14 · Posted: 17 Apr 2012 14:02
Sapristi:
I'd imagine it was well intentioned, but it'd be trickier to frame!

Exactly!
Further good news is that I ran into "Henry Gordon Jago" himself – who was for many years an upstairs neighbour of mine - on Sunday, and he says that Jago & Lightfoot series six is already being looked at, and series seven is a distinct possibility!
Sapristi
#15 · Posted: 19 Apr 2012 00:48
What a terrific neighbour to have had!

If you ever see him again, you can tell him that you’ve won for him at least one loyal listener in me, and congratulations in co starring in chronicles crammed with creativity! ;)

jock123:
he says that Jago & Lightfoot series six is already being looked at, and series seven is a distinct possibility!

Thats good- I did hear talk of that in the Big Finish Jago and Litefoot preview podcast of series 4, and in Vortex Magazine, so that's very good news. However, in a way because of that, the 'cliffhanger' at the end of series 4 took me completely by surprise, but in a very nice way!

Being utterly out of order, I've only just got a copy of The Mahogany Murderers- the Companion Chronicle that started it all- and no wonder- it's a great well told tale in its own right- and a perfect pilot.
I found it interesting that the writer Andy Lane originally penned it for Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) if that was to have another season in the early 2000s. (I was a fan of the 1960s original when it was repeated on BBC 2 on Friday nights way back, and though I thought the Vic and Bob one had its moments, it didn't surprise me that another series wasn't commissioned.) I could well imagine Jack Yeovill's proposition to Litefoot at the climax of the story would have once been to Marty, but I don't think it loses any of its impact.
Sapristi
#16 · Posted: 8 May 2012 00:13
Just discovered now- there will be a Scarifyers Comic, and its available now to pre-order!

http://thescarifyers.bandcamp.com/track/an-inspector-calls-2

As far as i can tell, its The Nazad Conspiracy, and its illustrated by Simon Gurr, with the covers by Garen Ewing.
jock123
#17 · Posted: 27 May 2012 23:31
I'm currently listening to Horror of Loch Ness (which has arrived - as an unexpected treat - slightly ahead of schedule), and am enjoying it immensely!

Philip Madoc as Doctor Pippin is superb! As the story unfolds it becomes apparent why he is the perfect person for the rôle, and he appears to relish the opportunity!

I've also got the comic awaiting my attention on my reading pile!

The Cosmic Hobo Facebook page reports:
...everyone who pre-orders a copy from the Cosmic Hobo site before Monday 4th June will be entered into a prize draw, to win a page of original artwork from the new Scarifyers comic book...

so be sure to get orders in quickly!

In other news, Big Finish have revealed the Jago & Lightfoot adventures are to cross over into their main Doctor Who range with two special releases at the end of this year, in which the doughty Victorians get to travel in time and space with Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor. I'm looking forward to it already, but if any further incentive were needed, they are to be offered at a bargain rate of £5 for the CD, or just £1 for the down-load, until the end of December.
Sapristi
#18 · Posted: 28 May 2012 21:03
jock123:
I'm currently listening to Horror of Loch Ness (which has arrived – as an unexpected treat – slightly ahead of schedule)

I'd say so - at least a week ahead! I've just ordered my copy, and a copy of the comic too.

jock123:
the Jago & Lightfoot adventures are to cross over into their main Doctor Who range

I think I'm looking forward to them more than series 7 of the TV series to be honest! Liking what I hear about Voyage to Venus too, especially as it's written by the same guy who wrote The Spirit Trap, with nods to H.G. Wells, and, though I know Jonathan Swift was the original inspiration for it, I do think of Hayo Miazakis "Laputa" when I see the cover art, which is no bad thing at all.

and at £1 a download? Bargain!

Also, in slightly related news, Big Finish have also released part 1 of the fifth Doctor story The Butcher of Brisbane (A.K.A. Magnus Greel- the villian from The Talons of Weng Chiang) as a free podcast. http://www.bigfinish.com/podcasts
Lurker
#19 · Posted: 3 Aug 2012 09:43
FYI: The first two episodes of 'For King and Country' are just now available to listen on BBC Radio Four website. MI-13's Lionheart investigates a series of murders involving electrical appliances! Indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hv5wv
Sapristi
#20 · Posted: 8 Aug 2012 21:51
Though he isn't credited on the cover, I should have mentioned before King and Countrys' special guest star Gabriel Woolf- who plays at least 3 different characters here.
As mentioned before, Woolf voiced Sutekh from the Tom Baker story Pyramids of Mars, but he also featured as the voice of the Devil in the David Tennant story The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.

Well worth watching too is the very funny spoof documentary/interview with The Destroyer himself: 'Oh Mummy- Sutekhs Story' is a DVD extra on Pyramids of Mars.
Shredding the mind of Widow Twanky is one thing, but burning Fury from The Deep?- now that's pure evil ;)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!