Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin Movie Sequel: General speculation [may include spoilers!]

Page  Page 7 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Unicornfan
#61 · Posted: 4 Oct 2012 21:22
Hi all. First post on the forum. Things seem to have gone rather quiet on the sequel thread so I'll give it a nudge.

I've been doing some digging around the internet and come across a few clues about the sequel. Knowing me, I'll put two and two together and come up with five, but anyway, here's what I uncovered.

1 - Jackson said very recently that he will move Tintin to 'a slightly different genre. Less of a rollicking adventure and something a bit more of an 'espionage' type story.

2 - The Thompsons will have a 'much larger' role this time.

3 - Cuthbert Calculus will appear.

4 - The movie will incorporate elements from two books.

Assuming the sequel picks up after the whole Red Rackham's Treasure saga, and given that 'espionage' is the flavour of the day, we're probably looking at Land Of Black Gold (Lots of the Thompsons here, but less Captain) or Calculus Affair (which Horowitz pretty much denied on Twitter). My money is on Land Of Black Gold with the Captain worked into it somehow.
rodney
#62 · Posted: 2 Dec 2012 02:17
Unicornfan:
My money is on Land Of Black Gold with the Captain worked into it somehow

This does not make sense - how would Calculus appear? He does not even feature in this story, save for the end letter.
Eivind
#63 · Posted: 16 Dec 2012 10:12
I agree that The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun would make a good movie (the latter is among my favourites), but if you look at the ending of the movie The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn I think it would be natural to continue with Red Rackham's Treasure, possibly in combination with some other book. This is also the book where Calculus was introduced so if they will have him in the movie, I am pretty sure that somehow this book will at least be partly included. The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun should be reserved for a third movie. The Secret of the Unicorn, Red Rackham's Treasure and Prisoners of the Sun are in my opinion the three best Tintin books.
BlackadderFan
#64 · Posted: 17 Dec 2012 16:49
I think it's almost certain that the sequel will be based on Red Rackham's Treasure and The Calculus Affair. What else could it possibly be? Mr. Horowitz confirmed that Calculus will be in the sequel.
Eivind
#65 · Posted: 17 Dec 2012 22:02
What parts of The Calculus Affair should they use? I cannot see how they should combine it with Red Rackham's Treasure. Anyway, Calculus is already in Red Rackham's Treasure. In fact this is where he was first introduced and he plays an important role in that book. Still, it might be necessary to introduce a villain to the movie. Although it is an excellent book, it probably do not have enough action scenes. Of course one could simply let Sakharine escape from the Thompsons (which would probably not be TOO difficult...), but maybe they should introduce Rastapopoulus instead?
jock123
#66 · Posted: 17 Dec 2012 23:57
BlackadderFan:
it's almost certain that the sequel will be based on Red Rackham's Treasure and The Calculus Affair. What else could it possibly be?

Err... well, any of the other books he appears in?
I'm with Elvind, I can't see that saying Calculus is in the film implies that they will use The Calculus Affair for the next film; it doesn't exclude it, but it certainly doen't require it.

I've said before that I can see the logical progression of starting the next film with Rackham, then following on from that, that the looted gold turns out to be the Inca horde, which contain the bracelet which Calculus puts on, allowing a segue into Seven Crystal Balls (and a 3D CGI animated Rascar Capac!), and perhaps Prisoners, or leave that for a further sequel (I could see that being an amalgamation of Prisoners and 714, with Rastapopoulos out to grab the treasure and ancient astronauts being woven into the Inca myth...).
Eivind
#67 · Posted: 18 Dec 2012 07:17
One could perhaps also use the parts of Red Sea Sharks that takes place at sea and maybe even the beginning of Cigars of the Pharaoh, by changing Sarcophagus with Calculus (I am thinking about the scene where the absent-minded Sarcophagus crashes into Rastapopoulus. One possiblity is to use this scene to introduce Calculus, on the other side I really love the scene in Red Rackham's Treasure where Calculus is introduced. Still, it could be possible to use both, the scene from Cigars of the Pharaoh could be used even if Calculus is introduced earlier in the film.
jock123
#68 · Posted: 18 Dec 2012 08:12
Eivind:
One could perhaps also use the parts of Red Sea Sharks that takes place at sea and maybe even the beginning of Cigars of the Pharaoh,

You could, but I don’t see why - I mean if it’s just a matter of adding “bits on boats” you could throw in The Shooting Star too, but I doubt they will.
I know that the wall in Tintin’s study in the movie suggests that Cigars has already happened; I think if they do use stuff from it, it will either be as a self-contained flash-back, or they may wait for an opportunity to go back and do it as a prequel, once this first set of movies is done.
rodney
#69 · Posted: 20 Dec 2012 07:10
Are there rumours that the Moon books will possibly feature as third movie??
BlackadderFan
#70 · Posted: 21 Dec 2012 17:26
jock123
Peter Jackson said in an interview that the sequel would be unlike the first one. It would be more of an espionage film, so I guess The Calculus Affair is most likely.
Don’t forget that the exec. producer Kathleen Kennedy also said earlier this year that they would most likely adapt Red Rackham's Treasure and The Calculus Affair, while Spielberg, in Feb 2012, confirmed that the sequel will be based on 2 books.

Page  Page 7 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!