Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin.com: Animated Feature of the Month

jock123
#1 · Posted: 6 Nov 2012 18:35
Following mct16's mention of Tintin and the Lake of Sharks streaming on the Tintin.com site, the movie now playing is the Belvision Prisoners of the Sun (I didn't notice, but I guess it changed at the start of the month).

It has to be said that the presentation of the picture for this version of Prisoners is top-notch - a side-by-side comparison shows it to be much clearer and crisper than the copy I have on DVD. The colour has also been greatly adjusted for the better - just watching the title sequence shows how dirty yellows have been returned to clean whites, and blues are deeper and richer. In fact so different are some colours that I almost wonder if the titles have been remade for this version.
It's possible that it's a new print, but as it has blemishes which don't appear on the DVD (watch for a flicker as a crack or scratch goes past on the streaming version at about the 40 second mark - it doesn't appear on the DVD) it could be that they both worked from an existing copy, and Anchor Bay removed blemishes digitally, or that they are - more simply - just from different sources.
I'm also not a fan of spurious wide-screen, and the on-line version has been cropped to change the aspect ratio, removing the top and a little from the bottom in doing so; on the DVD you can clearly see a blue pelmet running across the top of the stage during the opening moments - on the net it is completely absent.
The sound isn't quite as bright, however, and perhaps is a bit more "hissy" than the DVD, but it is fine.

My only real difficulty was that the video didn't want to play in Firefox on my Mac (v.16.0.2 on an iMac 3.06MHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running OS 10.7.4), appearing to buffer and load, but not going any further, but it does work in Chrome on the same machine.

You should be able to get to the movie page from this link; to navigate to the movie from there, click on Full Length in the menu list (although they look like likely candidates, Cartoons - would take you to the Nelvana TV series and the Belvision Calculus Case, and Animations has some short animated featurettes.

If you do go and look at the movie, I'd also suggest watching the documentary entitled Le Petit Vingtième: Tintin and the 20th Century; it was produced in 1995, and directed by Claude Haim, and is being shown with an English-language voice-over.

It's very well made, and if I don't entirely agree with its conclusions, it is well worth a watch.
Rocky
#2 · Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:18
This is a great feature on Tintin.com. Perhaps they might next consider "Animation of the Day", with a different 5-minute Belvision episode every day! That would be fantastic... hope you're reading this, Tintin.com staff. But don't crop it to widescreen.
Rocky
#3 · Posted: 2 Dec 2012 17:44
Cartoon of the month for December 2012 is 'Cigars of the Pharaoh'.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 2 Dec 2012 20:09
Rocky:
Cartoon of the month for December 2012 is 'Cigars of the Pharaoh'

It was up in November too, along-side Temple as the feature presentation; I don't know if this means that they will be up for another month, or if the date at which they change is not fixed, or is perhaps another point (the first Tuesday of the month, or whatever...).

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!