Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Sea Sharks: A review thread

BlackadderFan
#1 · Posted: 7 Dec 2012 12:14
The Red Sea Sharks was one of the last of the conventional adventure stories of Tintin.

In my opinion its one of the best of his later career. Here's why I think it's a great comic.

The action is relentless, the plot is good and we get to see some of the supporting and minor characters like General Alcazar, Dr. Mueller and Oliveira again.

Some of the funniest scenes of Captain Haddock are in this book, such as the scene where he and Tintin disguise themselves in Wadesdah.

I also liked the scene involving the plane crash and Snowy being the only one who knew about the bomb. However, Gorgonzola being revealed as Rastapopoulos was too predictable.

I'd like to know what you think of this comic. Great, average or terrible?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 8 Dec 2012 00:31
I have to say it’s one of my favourites - and the first Tintin book I ever bought, when it came out in paperback in the seventies!

The art is mature and vibrant, Hergé at his best, in a large part because he always depicts boats and the sea so well.

The characterizations are among his best, and in addition we have the sequence with Captain Haddock’s beard and him trying to sleep, which is a triumph.

The plot works for me, although I can see that criticisms of how he depicts the pilgrims as overly stereotyped are justified, and that weakens things now.

Oh, and I think it has one of the best covers of the series!
rodney
#3 · Posted: 8 Dec 2012 06:56
Whilst not one one my favorites, it has indeed my favorite frame in the adventures, without doubt, a real gem!

I too find this classic Herge adventure, something which lacked in the last of the series.. this is really a gripping and tense tale which is influenced by both real and imagined countries..

The captain really serves to highlight to comic aspect of the adventure, I tend to think this would have been very much mundane if it was only Tintin/Snowy..
In my opinion, the Captain steals the show here!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!