Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix: Does the quality deteriorate, post-Goscinny?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Furienna
#11 · Posted: 22 Nov 2011 10:36
I actually liked The Secret Weapon, but I didn't find The Great Divide to be more than okay.

As for the rest of the solo Uderzo books, I either haven't read them since the 90s, or I've never read them at all, so I can't comment on them right now.
Harry Hayfield
#12 · Posted: 22 Nov 2011 16:30
Chuckles_Merrily:
I hope no one else takes on Asterix... the originals and ones we have now are perfectly fine, i hope no one else takes it on.

I wasn't aware that the writing team had changed to be honest, as to continuing it, well, I know a bit about Roman history and have often wondered if I might be permitted to make my own suggestions.

Moderator Note: The new team for Asterix – which will continue now that Uderzo has announced his retirement – has been announced already.

The Tintinologist Team
Haddock54
#13 · Posted: 30 Mar 2012 14:54
Agree on that.
There is a slight let down in the language as well as the matter.
Eivind
#14 · Posted: 17 Dec 2012 06:48
It definitely deteriorates. There are some books with acceptable standard after Goscinny, but from Asterix and the Secret Weapon it really starts to go downhill and the last two books are really trash. The humour is totally gone. It was clearly Goscinny who gave life to the series. Uderzo is capable of drawing Asterix, but he is definitely NOT a good storyteller. It is a pity that Uderzo did not decide to end the series after Asterix in Belgium. I guess the development of Asterix shows that it was a wise definition of Herge to stop the Tintin series after his own death.
BlackadderFan
#15 · Posted: 17 Dec 2012 16:39
It's obvious that the quality of the series deteriorates but I really like Uderzos first 3 (Black Gold, Son, Magic Carpet). The only book I really hated was Secret Weapon. That was stupefyingly unfunny and just awful.
Eivind
#16 · Posted: 11 Jun 2013 11:52
BlackadderFan:
but I really like Uderzos first 3 (Black Gold, Son, Magic Carpet).

Actually this is his number 2, 3 and 4. His first was Asterix and the Great Divide.
Furienna
#17 · Posted: 23 Mar 2019 19:02
I'm sad to see so much negativity in this thread for the solo Uderzo works. Okay, so I have to confess that I haven't read all of them. So I can't comment in the ones, which I never found in my local libraries. They might suck as far as I know. But I truly enjoyed stories like "Black Gold", "Asterix & Son", "Secret Weapon" and even (once I got a chance to read that one on the internet) "The Falling Sky". "The Great Divide" and "Magic Carpet" were maybe not quite as good as the other ones, but still okay enough.

That said, it is really sad that Goscinny had to die so soon. He was only 51 years old and probably had so much left to give.
JJohannes
#18 · Posted: 11 Apr 2019 01:14
For me, Asterix somehow ended even before the death of Goscinny. I think I have all the books up to Asterix in Switzerland (1970) but after that, only Asterix in Belgium (1979). I have read some of the new (post-1970) stories but they just don't feel the same, even if some of them were still written by Goscinny.
Mikael Uhlin
#19 · Posted: 11 Apr 2019 19:31
A new title by Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad has just been announced: La Fille de Vercingétorix (The Daughter of Vercingetorix)

https://www.asterix.com/le-nouvel-album-dasterix-sintitulera-la-fille- de-vercingetorix/
Furienna
#20 · Posted: 11 Apr 2019 20:19
Mikael Uhlin:
A new title by Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad has just been announced: La Fille de Vercingétorix (The Daughter of Vercingetorix)

https://www.asterix.com/le-nouvel-album-dasterix-sintitulera-la-fille- de-vercingetorix/

Alright! That might be be one of my Christmas presents this year!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!