Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix 35 Announced!: "Astèrix chez les Pictes"

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jock123
#1 · Posted: 26 Mar 2013 23:13
The next Asterix is to be a voyage to the land of the Picts, a Celtic people who (like their Gaulish cousins) held out against invasion from the Roman Empire, it was announced today.

The first album to be written and drawn without either Gossciny or Uderzo, it will see Asterix and Obelix travel to what is now Scotland, where the Picts inhabited the North and North East; speaking as a Scot from the North East, I'm chuffed to hear it!

The team of Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad have recieved the blessing of Uderzo, who has high hopes for the book.

It is scheduled for the 24th October this year.
mct16
#2 · Posted: 27 Mar 2013 14:00
Asterix and Obelix helping the Scots fight for independence? Hmmm, I wonder where they got their inspiration from?
jock123
#3 · Posted: 27 Mar 2013 16:58
mct16:
Asterix and Obelix helping the Scots fight for independence?

How's that for topicality, eh?
Strictly speaking, the Picts were always independent - the Romans not managing to defeat them, and instead having to stop at the Antonine Wall.
There used to be a place quite near me when I lived and worked in Glasgow, where you could see the remains of the wall, and stand with one foot in the Roman Empire, and the other in land never vanquished by the Imperial Eagle...!
50 Spann
#4 · Posted: 27 Mar 2013 18:34
Asterix without Goscinny or Uderzo? This will be... interesting.

(Maybe Asterix will be getting its equivalent to Tintin and the Lake of Sharks.)
mct16
#5 · Posted: 27 Mar 2013 18:46
Well, the writers do not always stick to historical truths even in general terms. "Asterix in Britain" for example depicted it as a full Roman colony, whereas in fact Caesar only undertook a couple of short raids on Britain and it did not become a Roman colony until 43AD, about a hundred years after his death.

We'll just have to see, I suppose. What I enjoyed about the Goscinny era is that Asterix had varying motives for his travels: helping the resistance ("Britain"), obtaining a cure ("Switzerland"), returning a little boy to his parents ("Spain") or redeeming a selfish chief's pride ("Belgium"). It would be interesting to see the motives in this new book - but if they travel by spaceship or flying carpet then I'm making the writers eat every published copy, by Toutatis!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 27 Mar 2013 20:29
50 Spann:
Asterix without Goscinny or Uderzo? This will be... interesting.

(Maybe Asterix will be getting its equivalent to Tintin and the Lake of Sharks.)

I think I can say with some confidence, whatever Ferri & Conrad have in store, it cannot possibly be worse than Asterix & the Falling Sky. I'm really looking forward to this, particularly following the relatively lacklustre outings for the Gauls in books & films in recent years. The pair seem to have good credentials, so I'm happy to sit back & see what happens.
rodney
#7 · Posted: 28 Mar 2013 02:52
Richard:
whatever Ferri & Conrad have in store

Richard:
The pair seem to have good credentials,

Hi,

I have never heard of these artists..
What are their credentials and will the illustrations be up to scratch do you think?

On this, this position must have been a real coveted role... I wonder if there were many names up for contention in the past?

I wonder what this team did specifically to get the position - must have been special..
mct16
#8 · Posted: 28 Mar 2013 14:31
rodney:
I have never heard of these artists..
What are their credentials and will the illustrations be up to scratch do you think?

We discuss their merits here. I've just added some more details.
mct16
#9 · Posted: 20 May 2013 12:45
I've been wondering: will we be treated to any scenes of Obelix tapping the side of his head and muttering "These Picts are crazy!" or will that risk the outrage of censor Political Correctnus?
jock123
#10 · Posted: 21 May 2013 15:16
mct16:
will that risk the outrage of censor Political Correctnus?

It's interesting that you are contriving an imaginary scenario, so that you can then scorn the notion, no?
To have to create a hypothetical problem so that one can react against it is a tactic which may fill the pages of the tabloids, but doesn't really make for much of a discussion, does it?

Also, given the number of things which are ultimately questionable in the series (for example, the depiction of the black pirate, both graphically and in his dialogue - especially in the French, and the general use of performance enhancing and other "potions" etc., I'm surprised that you even begin to mention Obelix's hardly-threatening assessment of many people he meets!

Oh, and speaking as a Northern Scot, Obelix can call us crazy if he wants!

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!