Tintin in Tibet 10
The Castafiore Emerald 8
Flight 714 7
Tintin and the Picaros 6
Tintin and Alph-Art 4
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 5
rodney
#102 · Posted: 17 Mar 2013 10:15
OK here goes, don't know how I missed this thread in the past :)

Land of the Soviets 3
Tintin in the Congo 1
Tintin in America 3
Cigars of the Pharaoh 7
Blue Lotus 9 - wish it had been redrawn though I acknowledge this old art gives it a certain charm and a throwaway back to the 1930's Herge.
Broken Ear 8 - underrated, very complex plot which is has caused much debate in another thread here.
Black Island 10 - first story which introduced me to Tintin, great art
King Ottokar's Sceptre 8 - good riddle story with a great twist
Crab with the Golden Claws 8 - love the Captain drunken escapades!
Shooting Star 5
Secret of The Unicorn 10
Red Rackham's Treasure 10
Seven Crystal Balls 10
Prisoners of the Sun 10
Land of Black Gold 5
Destination Moon 10
Explorers on the Moon 10 - found this the most terrifying of the books! If you don't believe me, look at Mr Baxter on p 21 - 22!!
Calculus Affair 10
Red Sea Sharks 8
Tintin in Tibet 10
The Castafiore Emerald 10
Flight 714 8
Tintin and the Picaros 6
Tintin and Alph-Art 7
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 3
mct16
#103 · Posted: 17 Mar 2013 13:55
rodney:
Blue Lotus 9 - wish it had been redrawn

"Blue Lotus" was redrawn. It was originally crudely drawn in B&W but then Herge redrew it, as he did with "Congo", "Cigars", "Broken Ear" etc.
jock123
#104 · Posted: 17 Mar 2013 20:08
mct16:
"Blue Lotus" was redrawn.

No, only the first four pages were re-drawn in their entirety; some other frames in the story were modified (enhancements to the backgrounds etc.), and a few additional frames created to help with the adaptation to the 62 page format. The book is otherwise close to the black and white original. The same thing applies to The Broken Ear.
mct16:
It was originally crudely drawn in B&W

That’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? It’s not even close to being a favourite of mine, but I have to admit that some of the work done on the early Lotus is top notch stuff…
Added to that it must be remembered that Hergé’s “crude” style was a choice, and not a lack of ability, and very much the æsthetic of many cartoons at the time - just look at early Disney shorts like Plane Crazy and Steamboat Willie, and especially the even earlier Alice and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit films, and you will see where he was coming from.

But this is wandering off topic, and is for other threads…
50 Spann
#105 · Posted: 24 Mar 2013 20:07
Land of the Soviets 3
Tintin in the Congo 2
Tintin in America 4
Cigars of the Pharaoh 5
Blue Lotus 10
Broken Ear 6
Black Island 6
King Ottokar's Sceptre 8
Crab with the Golden Claws 7
Shooting Star 7
Secret of The Unicorn 10
Red Rackham's Treasure 8
Seven Crystal Balls 9
Prisoners of the Sun 7
Land of Black Gold 9
Destination Moon 8
Explorers on the Moon 10
Calculus Affair 10
Red Sea Sharks 8
Tintin in Tibet 10
The Castafiore Emerald 9
Flight 714 6
Tintin and the Picaros 5
calculite
#106 · Posted: 1 Apr 2013 03:35
Like a lot of people, this'll probably change over time.

Land of the Soviets 3
Tintin in the Congo 3
Tintin in America 5
Cigars of the Pharaoh 8
Blue Lotus 7
Broken Ear 6
Black Island 6.5
King Ottokar's Sceptre 8
Crab with the Golden Claws 7
Shooting Star 9.5
Secret of The Unicorn 10
Red Rackham's Treasure 8
Seven Crystal Balls 10
Prisoners of the Sun 7
Land of Black Gold 6.5
Destination Moon 9.5
Explorers on the Moon 9
Calculus Affair 7.5
Red Sea Sharks 6
Tintin in Tibet 9
The Castafiore Emerald 5
Flight 714 6.5
Tintin and the Picaros 6
Tintin and Alph-Art - 6.5
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks - 1
rodney
#107 · Posted: 1 Apr 2013 09:42
calculite:
Shooting Star 9.5

Without being harsh, just wanted to know why you rated this book so high?
Was it the Chester/Haddock dock sequence or some other part which you really enjoyed? I know the Captain does have some comedy moments in the book!

Just wanted to know as I do rate it as an average story but having said that, I may have overlooked some parts of the story??

Cheers,

Rod
Gayboy
#108 · Posted: 3 Apr 2013 05:08
Land of the Soviets 2
Tintin in the Congo 4
Tintin in America 5
Cigars of the Pharaoh 7.5
Blue Lotus 9.5
Broken Ear 7
Black Island 7.5
King Ottokar's Sceptre 7
Crab with the Golden Claws 9
Shooting Star 9
Secret of The Unicorn 10
Red Rackham's Treasure 8
Seven Crystal Balls 9
Prisoners of the Sun 8
Land of Black Gold 6.5
Destination Moon 9
Explorers on the Moon 9
Calculus Affair 8.5
Red Sea Sharks 8.5
Tintin in Tibet 10
The Castafiore Emerald 7.5
Flight 714 9
Tintin and the Picaros 8
Tintin and Alph-Art - 7.5 with a potential 8 or 9 depending on what the ending would have been.
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 9 - This was an awesome story. I really liked the two children which definitely made it feel like it was geared towards a younger crowd.
I think the two movies were great and would have been awesome additions if they were prepared like Lake of Sharks.
rodney
I would rate it high myself for the same reason, and it's shameful that Chester did not get more coverage.
the_maharaja
#109 · Posted: 14 Apr 2013 07:42
Hi everyone, my first post. Had to give my ratings.

Land of the Soviets 6
Tintin in the Congo 5
Tintin in America 5
Cigars of the Pharaoh 9
Blue Lotus 9
Broken Ear 8
Black Island 8
King Ottokar's Sceptre 9
Crab with the Golden Claws 9
Shooting Star 5
Secret of The Unicorn 9
Red Rackham's Treasure 10
Seven Crystal Balls 7
Prisoners of the Sun 8
Land of Black Gold 10
Destination Moon 8
Explorers on the Moon 10
Calculus Affair 7
Red Sea Sharks 9
Tintin in Tibet 8
The Castafiore Emerald 4
Flight 714 8
Tintin and the Picaros 9
Tintin and Alph-Art 2
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 1

Got a question. Why do so many of you rate Red Rackham's Treasure so low? Is it because of the anticlimax at Marlinspike? I've been reading the comics since I was five, and that was probably my favorite growing up, mainly because of the thrill of the treasure hunt.

Also, why do so many of you like Tintin in Tibet so much?
rodney
#110 · Posted: 14 Apr 2013 14:34
the_maharaja:
why do so many of you like Tintin in Tibet so much

Maybe read my article which I wrote some time ago? It can be found here: Tintin in Tibet

Hopefully it sums up the general feelings with which fans and critics alike rate this as a defining example of Herge's work and indeed work by any graphic artist...

the_maharaja:
Why do so many of you rate RR's Treasure so low

I can't comment for everyone but I do think this book as well as Unicorn lifted The Adventures of Tintin into the stratosphere, and elevated Tintin from great to exceptional.
These two tales have so many elements which take Hergé's work to truly a new step and creates a backdrop and foundation on which the other stories moving forward are built upon.
Think about it: after Rackham, the fundamental 'Tintin Family' is complete, save some memorable supporting characters in the latter adventures.
Haddock is still arguably a secondary character in Crab and Star yet holds his own in Unicorn and Rackham.
It is especially in these two which he develops into his own enthralling character and it's his humour which carries the story and makes it all the more memorable, agree?

Calculus although not fully developed in Rackham is without doubt accepted into the fold, not least to say he does indeed purchase Marlinspike Hall and it is this setting which dictates the tone, pace and base for the future adventures.

The Professor shows true generosity, gratefulness and respect which makes us engage with him instantly at the end of the story. He has no animosity,(he's deaf and not heard the Captain's barb's in the story!) only a happiness and humility with Tintin and Haddock which had only been touched on and realistically only seen in both Lotus and Ottokar's endings.

Hergé at this point in time, had the stage complete for the Tintin books and all it took was inventive ideas to push the adventures forward.
The base fundamentals were here now, it's all about expanding and he achieved this so perfectly in some of the future stories.
Indeed, they get better and better (as many have said already!) which is all the marvel as many other writer in a position may have fallen short..
It's testament to his creative abilities (Crystal, Prisoners et al)

Red Rackham's Treasure is without doubt a pivot point in the Adventures of Tintin, with all the real world issues going on with Herge and does serve to be looked upon as an example of his genius especially due to the 1940's factors he was going through at the present time.
I think a story that engaging with war time issues (WWII)deserves to be said for something indeed...

Finally, I have always wondered, had it not been for the war, where would Tintin have gone? What would have the adventures bought out?
Was it really the war which bought out the best for the stories?
Would they have simply been mundane, nice and satisfactory, good and simple like so many others long forgotten?

Sad to say as this is, was it the war and the events at hand which bought these books to the amazing quality in which we are still discussing on Internet forums long after the final tale has been told?

I could go on but I won't as I hope you have seen the point here..

Rod :)

Page  Page 11 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!