Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock's and Tintin's relationship

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 

SakuraT5
#51 · Posted: 19 Jan 2013 15:15
mct16
Yes! Why not?? If Tintin-Haddock is possible then why not Tintin-Castafiore? If Tintin can be paired with Haddock then why can't Tintin be imagined with a much older Castafiore or a married Mrs Clarkson??
According to some individual's views, they want to quote a wonderful platonic relationship like that of Tintin-Haddock under the "gay" or "queer" category.
I'm in with Tintinrulz on this. I'm sick of 'branding' their or any other character relationships in this comic as straight or homosexual category.
Gayboy
#52 · Posted: 2 Mar 2013 15:48
SakuraT5
What would have been the difference you ask? I think it would have been different in the sense that it would have been written by Herge... to answer your question we would have to make some what if assumptions for sake of argument. Let's assume Herge and the real Tchang had relations... and Herge toward the end left notes to TintinxHaddock or TintinxChang would be canon, and say that he wrote three more books afterwords...

TintinXHaddock would probably be the most popular.

Different era, different attitude. Not only would the book be about adventure, but it would be about a bond deeper than friendship and the fear of others finding out. It would be even more complicated and fascinating for adults (No smut). Herge writing it would not have any knowledge of Magnas so I'm sure his take on it would have deviated from the typical magna.
JolyonWagg45
#53 · Posted: 13 Apr 2013 19:31
Tintinrulz
True!
Pahk
#54 · Posted: 13 Jul 2013 22:44
I'll start off by saying that all opinions here are more or less awesome. So thank you everyone, for giving me a good read! :)
Of course, I don't agree with all of your ideas, but I try not to judge. Live and let live, am I right?
I, personally, support the friendship thing. I see Tintin and Haddock as nothing more than just friends. Really good friends. The father-son relationship also makes sense to me. The gay relationship - not so much. But as people have already said here, there's so much left to the reader's imagination.
I can say that I don't want Tintin to be gay. I'm not trying to be homophobic here, but that's my opinion. I have no idea what Hergé intended, and I don't mind (that much) when people conclude, think, say or whatever, that Tintin is gay.
I'm not gonna pretend that I'm not a homophobe just because it's right to accept everybody as who they are. Of course I accept homosexuals. Still, I don't like it when my childhood hero is "made" gay. So that's me. I'm very truly sorry if this offends anybody, and if it makes you feel any better, I'm not proud of being this small-minded.
Gayboy
#55 · Posted: 14 Jul 2013 18:54
Pahk
It's quite ok to see them as just friends or father son relationship like. The books definitey get that across. The rest is up to the reader to interpret what goes on between the lines which Herge does leave to the imagination. The idea of a non-sexual Tintin is probably the most accepted because no romantic interest is mentioned directly.

I've read the books and researched Herge's life and have my own opinions which I stated. I will share this with you Pahk. When I was a kid I had a favorite uncle whom I had no clue was gay. He always took me to see my dad when he moved away, and took me to the amusement parks. I never saw him with a girlfriend, but he had a very close friend. I found out when I was much older that he was in fact his lover. Not flamboyant, just two normal men who loved each other and kept their private life exactly where it should be kept, private. I think all things straight and gay should be kept in the appropriate places.

With all of that being said, that's partly how I came to my own vision of Tintin and Haddock. There are others who dream of Tintin getting married to a woman and having kids and blah blah blah... and they too are entitled to see him that way. By Herge leaving Tintin asexual, there is nothing definitive which allows us our own interpretation. As far as your comment for small mindedness, it's ok if you don't like that vision. If you don't hate or dislike people because of their sexual orientation but just don't agree with Tintin being gay, I think that's not going to throw you into the small minded bracket.
Pahk
#56 · Posted: 15 Jul 2013 10:52
Gayboy
You're a great dude for being so understanding. Had I tried to discuss this with a yaoi fangirl I would have gotten nowhere. Also, thanks for sharing your story. I completely agree that private life should be private.
I used to be more homophobic (that's how I was raised), but my views changed when I got a gay friend. I'm really glad that happened, because now I can understand homosexual people, and I know they're not that different from straight people. In fact, they tend to be nicer and more open-minded.

I'm getting off topic so I think I'll end my post here.
Gayboy
#57 · Posted: 15 Jul 2013 15:27
Pahk
No problem, yes, yaoi fangirls and boys are so hellbent on their vision that they forget to step outside their world and realize that a blotch of ink may look like a rose to one person, a butterfly to another, or simply a blotch of ink to someone else. Point is, we all have different perceptions of the world which includes Tintin. Don't get me wrong I do fit in that crowd, but I know not everyone sees the world as I do and I think an asexual Tintin is the best fit. It's kind of the one size fits all for lack of better description.
Pahk
#58 · Posted: 19 Jul 2013 14:05
Gayboy
Amen, dude.
MyDearWatson
#59 · Posted: 3 Sep 2016 17:02
I see Tintin and the Captain as just platonic, but if anyone wishes to see them as more than that, why should they be stopped? It's their interpretation.

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!