Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Any Beatles fans out there?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Tintin3415
#1 · Posted: 24 Aug 2013 05:12
Hi:D Just curious to see if there are any Beatlemaniacs here?
And if you are a Beatles fan, what's your favorite album, song, story, or picture?

Moderator Note: Hi! It's a nice idea, if starting a topic like this, for the person posting to offer their own answers first: it gives the next person something to comment on.
So what are your favourites?

The Tintinologist Team
Tintin3415
#2 · Posted: 24 Aug 2013 16:44
Oh yeah sorry I should have, My favorite album is probably Help!, my favorite song is Here Comes the Sun, and my favorite story is the story of how they became The Beatles. I don't really have a favorite picture, there's to many to choose from.
Moderator Note: Thanks for the update; however, given that you probably weren't around when the Fab Four were on the go, we've removed your information on how to see the photos you have posted; we try to respect people's copyrights round here, so unless you are the original photographer, it's best to assume that folks will know what The Beatles look like! ;-)

The Happy Tintinologist Team
jock123
#3 · Posted: 24 Aug 2013 21:24
My favourite Beatles album is Beatles for Sale.
My favourite song changes, but I can always listen to If I Fell.
My favourite Beatles story is that they played our church hall on thir first ever tour (supporting Johnny Gentle), and liked it so much that they planned to start their first U.K. solo tour in our town; unfortunately the weather was so bad that they made it is far as Aberdeen, their instruments were stranded in Edinburgh, and neither made it to our town, so the concert was cancelled... Decades later, Paul & Linda did donate books to an auction to help raise money the restoration of the hall.
My favourite picture(s) are the ones used on the cover of The Beatles Live at the BBC, where they are walking down Lower Regent's Street looking fairly serious, and the next second they are being silly.
Mikael Uhlin
#4 · Posted: 24 Aug 2013 21:38
I love the Beatles! In fact, I've liked them almost as long as I've liked Tintin, since 1971 when I was eight. A bit too late, but still...

My favourite album is "Abbey Road", but I agree with Jock, "Beatles For Sale" is very underrated. It's probably their best from the early period. Favourite song is "A Day in the Life".

I like to read about the early years, especially "The Complete Beatles Chronicle" by Mark Lewisohn, where you can read about almost everything they did each day from the late 50s until early 1970, whether it was a concert, a radio show or studio recording or whatever.

A nice set of photos are either the early ones taken by Astrid Kirchherr in Hamburg (with Pete and Stu) or their last session as a group, taken at John's place (Tittenhurst) in the late summer of 1969, the one where they look almost like cowboys (used for example on the cover of the "Hey Jude" compilation).
Tintin3415
#5 · Posted: 25 Aug 2013 01:37
jock123
That's a cool story, It's neat to know that Paul and Linda did that :)
Paul came and did a concert where I live but I missed it :(
My friend went and took a video though.
I also like Beatles for Sale, I actually checked it out from the library and renewed it as many times as I could!

Mikael Uhlin
I wish I could have been a Beatles fan then I think it would have been cool to see each of them in their solo careers too. Unfortunately I wasn't born until 1998 so I missed John's solo years and most of George's :(
I think I was born in the wrong decade! Most of the kids my age listen to One Direction and Big Time Rush, but I'd rather be listening to my Meet the Beatles record.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle sounds like a neat book though, maybe I could make up for what I missed :)
Do you know where I could buy a copy?
Mikael Uhlin
#6 · Posted: 25 Aug 2013 10:21
Tintin3415:
The Complete Beatles Chronicle sounds like a neat book though, maybe I could make up for what I missed:)Do you know where I could buy a copy?

I see it's available on Amazon: The Complete Beatles Chronicle
jock123
#7 · Posted: 25 Aug 2013 11:51
Like Mikael I'd say that The Complete Chronicle is an amazing achievement - even if the person who wrote the description on Amazon is unable to tell the difference between the group and a financial institution:
"Marking the thirtieth anniversary of the break-up of the greatest group in the history of pop music, a new paperback edition of what has come to be regarded as the most authoritative document about the bank ever written, will be available."
I realise that to some people The Beatles may be seen as a money-making machine, but a bank?

Anyway, what I always have to bear in mind about such books is (much as I like them, and read them) that they only tell part of the story, and that may be faulty.
I remember seeing George talking about people who "knew more" about The Beatles than he did, but missed the point and got it wrong: he was told by some expert that the important thing he did on a certain date was recording such-and-such a guitar part, or singing this or that vocal, or appearing on some TV show or stage - when he knew that the important thing he'd done on that day was to sit in the garden at home with friends and family and watch a really lovely rainbow, or have a chat on the 'phone with his sister...
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 25 Aug 2013 11:59
I love The Beatles. It's impossible to choose just one favourite, so I'm afraid I've cheated a little ;-)

Fave album(s): Rubber Soul (the peak of the early Beatles) and The White Album (the later period).

Fave song(s): Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (McCartney) I Am The Walrus (Lennon) Long Long Long (Harrison). Sorry Ringo...

Fave Picture: This picture which was taken around the corner from my Mum's house in Highgate. The Beatles spent a day in 1968 on a photo shoot (also known as the "Mad day out") and took photos in various locations around London, including St Pancras Church Gardens (just down the road from where I live now) and Old Street.

It's so funny to see them standing outside this nondescript typical residential house in Swain's Lane, the area where I grew up and know so well!
Tintin3415
#9 · Posted: 25 Aug 2013 16:30
Thanks for finding that Mikael. I look forward to reading about my favorite bank ;-)

Harrock n roll
I don't blame you for having to pick more than one I love most of their songs too:)And it was really hard to pick one album, for me it was a tie between HELP!, Rubber Soul, and Abbey Road. That's really cool that they took pictures where you grew up!And to be able to drive past those places and know that the Beatles where actually there is really cool too!
mct16
#10 · Posted: 26 Aug 2013 12:04
I used to love the Beatles. I got a tape of them when I was about 14-15 and would listen to it constantly during long car journeys.

I would always watch the films "Hard Day's Night" and "Yellow Submarine" whenever they were on TV and have watched the DVDs regularly.

Did you know that the Blake and Mortimer story "The Voronov Plot" includes a scene of Paul watching John perform at a fete hosted by Rev Pryce Jones in Liverpool on 6th July 1957, where they were first formally introduced?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!