Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix 35 Announced!: "Astèrix chez les Pictes"

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

advnarayan
#21 · Posted: 29 Jun 2013 02:06
Frankly, I didn't find anything "offensive" about the Tintin piece and the words of Laurence Grove.
He is a proud Scot... and it's his interpretation of Tintin and Captain Haddock.
That's the beauty of Tintin - you and I can read the same book, yet like it in different ways, and that's why Tintin has a fan following between 7 and 77, or rather 8 and 88.

Regarding Asterix - I for one would definitely buy the book before making any decisions.

True, the absence of Gossciny and Uderzo is going to be an area of concern, but I eagerly await Asterix 35!
advnarayan
#22 · Posted: 31 Aug 2013 17:55
Is there a character called Gandhix (based on Mahatma Gandhi in the new Asterix album?
I found some news items after a Google search, but not sure whether to believe the same.
Could anyone give any further details?
mct16
#23 · Posted: 31 Aug 2013 18:35
mct16:
Could anyone give any further details?

This article by the Times of India has an interview with Jean-Yves Ferri, the new writer of the Asterix series, in which he suggests a future storyline in which Asterix may go to India and meet Gandhix.

This would make an interesting contrast: Asterix who tends to resort to violence to solve his problems (albeit in a humourus way) as compared to Ghandi who is synonymous with non-violent resistance. Asterix might be tempted by the idea but how would Obelix react to the thought of no longer bashing the Romans? Shock! Horror! and "These pacifists are crazy!" I should think :)
advnarayan
#24 · Posted: 1 Sep 2013 08:30
mct16:
This article by the Times of India has an interview with Jean-Yves Ferri,

I too read this article, but I think it's not an idea for the forthcoming adventure about the Picts, but for one that will happen after that.
Please correct me if I am wrong?
jock123
#25 · Posted: 1 Sep 2013 13:19
advnarayan:
I think it's not an idea for the forthcoming adventure about the Picts

Agreed - you are right; it would be for a different book.
I realize it's a bit ambiguous, but although they are in effect both "future" books, the Picts story is probably printed and waiting to be sent to the shops, whilst the India adventure is still in his head.

M. Ferri is talking in the interview about a story yet to be written.

If it was the Picts book, he would have said "I have set the new adventure...", rather than, "I want to set a new adventure..."
BlackadderFan
#26 · Posted: 22 Sep 2013 11:31
Bleedin Cool News reports that the latest Asterix book will be published in fewer copies than the previous book, Asterix and Obelix's 50th Anniversary.
jock123
#27 · Posted: 22 Sep 2013 12:25
BlackadderFan:
the latest Asterix book will be published in fewer copies than the previous book

But it does point out that that is a staggering two million copies, and that it will be a good contender for best-selling comic of the year! It's only a relative reduction, and both figures are way above what many books will ever sell in total, let alone as one of what could be several print runs.
I'd also imagine that selling any new title based on a 50th anniversary will inevitably knock-on into a usually un-tapped market of "un-we", who don't buy comics regularly, but for nostalgic purposes, or for the feeling of getting a "collector's item" which will be "worth something", or because they are a relative who see it and goes "Oh, wee Johnny likes/liked that, I"ll get him a copy" - buy a book when they otherwise wouldn't have.
You may actually please die-hard fans and collectors more with a smaller print-run, as (its actual merits apart) the Golden Book will be worth less than other albums, given its vast sales in the first edition, with Picts being "scarcer" (all two million of them)...
mct16
#28 · Posted: 3 Oct 2013 12:33
The cover for the new album has been made public. You can see it on this French website (scroll to the bottom to see a bigger size version). It is a joint work of Uderzo and Conrad: Uderzo drew Obelix, Conrad drew Asterix.

This page also has an illustration from the book showing Asterix and a Pict fighting what appears to be our old friends the Pirates.

There is also a recent group interview (in French, I'm afraid) with the ones responsible for this new book, including Ferri and Conrad, Uderzo and Anne Goscinny. According to Uderzo, it was at Anne's insistence that the series was continued even after he had decided to retire. Several writers were considered, interviewed and asked to contribute a script which Uderzo would choose. Ferri's script was still at an early stage, having only written a few pages, but was chosen since Uderzo liked the idea of sending Asterix to Scotland, something which he and Goscinny had never considered themselves.

Conrad tells of how drawing the story was very "complex, there is a huge amount to draw. It takes up a lot of time. You have to maintain the rhythm". His previous work has struck me as rather sketchy compared to Uderzo's more detailed illustrations, especially his backgrounds, so it could be that he had to put in more of an effort. However, he states that Uderzo "guided me and he came up with the words" to keep Conrad going and finish on schedule. Uderzo himself says that he "only corrected some little things which nobody could have noticed" but they do not mention examples.

They do not describe the plot, all that they will say is that "two women" are involved.
advnarayan
#29 · Posted: 7 Oct 2013 02:13
BlackadderFan:
Also here's some humour and references about Scotland I think the guys will include

I too agree with Blackadder above and after seeing the cover image am absolutely sure that there is a reference to the Loch Ness monster.
I also think there might be some puns based on Scotland Yard, and that Doubleoosix (tha caricature of Sean Connery/ James Bond in Asterix and the Great Crossing) will be in this new album.
Frankly, I am excited that a new Asterix is being released!
The last time I had this sort of excitement regarding Tintin was when the Spielberg movie hit the theaters in this part of the world.
jock123
#30 · Posted: 22 Oct 2013 18:40
Le Figaro has read and reviewed the new Asterix, and the conclusions are positive! (Review is in French).

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!