Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: black and white English version release date

Page  Page 1 of 6:  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#1 · Posted: 19 May 2004 16:41
The black-and-white English version of "Cigars of the Pharaoh" has been given a provisional publication date of July 1st. The book's cover design can be seen here:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0867199059.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I doubt the book will actually appear on this date (where's "Tintin in America"?), but at least it's on its way!

Ed
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 19 May 2004 17:27
Mmmm ! "The Tintin in the Orient 1" lettering looks a bit clumsy to me though. Is that how it is on the original French version? They definately seem to be stocking up on unreleased books just now!

Chris
edcharlesadams
#3 · Posted: 15 Aug 2004 21:02
I've just heard that the provisional date for this book has been moved back to November 30th. Can we expect the black-and-white "Tintin in America" to appear before this, then?

Ed
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 15 Aug 2004 22:39
Sounds good, i've stuck an order in at Amazon.com

Has a 3-5 weeks shipping time on it

Rik
edcharlesadams
#5 · Posted: 18 Nov 2004 19:05
I'm afraid I have discouraging news about the English black-and-white facsimile of "Cigars of the Pharaoh".
According to my contact, it has been delayed and won't be ready for its November 30th release date, or even available before Christmas. Neither is there any indication as to how long we will have to wait: "it could be three months or a year".
Apparently the release of the book is entirely in the hands of Casterman as the translation has been fully approved by Moulinsart.

On a more positive note, I seem to recall that the facsimile "Tintin in America" was available over two months before the 'official' release date of October 30th, so we may get to see "Cigars" sooner than this disappointing news might suggest.

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 19 Nov 2004 20:06
A curiousity - Amazon Marketplace has two copies of this book for sale at the moment, priced at a staggering £82.61 each. Any ideas about this - would they be advance copies, or is the book in print ?
edcharlesadams
#7 · Posted: 19 Nov 2004 23:19
I'd be highly cautious about these - given that the descriptions are identical I'd say they were from the same person. Oddly, though apparently they ship from the US, they're not listed on amazon.com, only amazon.co.uk. Plus the contact at Last Gasp was unequivocal that no copies would be printed in the near future as Casterman simply hasn't got round to it yet. My hunch is that a more widely available version of "Cigars" has been wrongly submitted to the site.

They do say that they offer a "100% Money Back Guarantee" however, so if anyone wants to try it and see what they get, I for one would be very interested to find out! Personally I don't fancy gambling with that amount of money...

Ed
edcharlesadams
#8 · Posted: 11 Dec 2004 18:27
The release date has now been moved back to March 30th. Though going on past experience this sounds very provisional; most likely the publishers have estimated that publication will be sometime around March, and the listing has been given a precise date to reflect this. I very much doubt it will fall on this day!

Ed
thmthm
#9 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 03:29
Are these books basically the same as the what's to be found in the Herge "archive books" just with color plates/covers?
just need to make sure...
also - theres a yellow cover tintin in America release and a white one - whats the difference between these?
Harrock n roll
#10 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 04:44
Are these books basically the same as the what's to be found in the Herge "archive books" just with color plates/covers?

These are basically the same as the original black and white books but with one other major difference - they're in English for the first time.

also - theres a yellow cover tintin in America release and a white one - whats the difference between these?

See Richard's recent post in this thread for the answer to that!

Page  Page 1 of 6:  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!