Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

New Book: "Hergé and the Treasures of Tintin" (10/10/2013)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

jock123
#1 · Posted: 22 Aug 2013 11:14
Tintinologists are in for a real treat, in the form of a forthcoming book!
Dominique Maricq, the chief archivist at Studios Hergé, and noted writer and author of several books about Tintin and Hergé (for example Tintin Chez les Belges, and (a personal favourite) Hergé Côté Jardin: Un dessinateur à la campagne) has put together a new collection which seeks to give an overview of the development of Hergé's life and work, and the influences that bore upon his choices.
While at first this may appear to be covering ground well trodden in the past, this new work takes a novel approach, by including around 20 beautifully reproduced facsimile documents to illustrate the story.
A postcard, sketch-book, layout page, even a reproduction of the famous bookshop poster showing Tintin carrying (and dropping) a pile of albums - these and more will be included in what looks to be a very special addition to the Tintinologist's book-shelf.

And perhaps best of all?
The book will be coming out in French and English versions!
No long wait, no delays, Carlton Books Ltd. will be producing the English-language version, which has been translated by Stuart Tett, who is himself the brains behind the Young Reader editions of the Tintin books.

I understand that there will be some form of promotion taking place at The Tintin Shop in Covent Garden (London), with the author and translator in attendance - more details as and when they become available.

Update: Dominique Maricq has put up some photos of the facsimile items on Facebook, and they have been shared to our page here. Check them out!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 25 Sep 2013 18:30
I've kindly been sent an advanced copy of the book by the publishers, and it is a thing of beauty!
It is well designed, clearly laid out and very well written - but the show-stopper which sets this apart is its use of facsimile documents you can actually take out,hold and examine (or even frame and hang on the wall!) to tell the story of Hergé and Tintin.

I've posted an album of pics together with a fuller commentary about the book and its content over on our Facebook page, which you might like to check out.

This is bound to be a popular item when it comes out on the 10th of October (it's a bit early, but be sure to have it on your Christmas letter to Santa, if you haven't broken down and bought it before then)!

And don't forget that author Dominique Maricq will be making a personal appearance at the Floral Street Tintin Shop in London to sign copies of the book on Saturday October the 19th, 2013, between 2.00pm and 5.00pm - so mark it in your diaries!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 18 Oct 2013 21:25
Just a quick reminder that the book signing at The Tintin Shop is tomorrow afternoon, between 2.00pm and 5.00pm.

As part of the event, you will be able to buy a copy of the new book for £25, saving £5 on the list price.

If you are unable to attend, and would still like to purchase a signed copy, you should e-mail or 'phone the shop to make arrangements ASAP.
You should be able to reach them by telephone on +44 (0)20 7836 1131, and by e-mail on tintinshop>at<btconnect>dot<com [replace the items between the chevrons].
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 19 Oct 2013 07:49
Excellent photos! It looks like a great book. I live in Australia though. Where might I be able to buy this book?
jock123
#5 · Posted: 19 Oct 2013 23:14
Tintinrulz:
Excellent photos! It looks like a great book.

Thank you - it's possibly the most interesting art book on any artist I've read in many years!

Tintinrulz:
I live in Australia though. Where might I be able to buy this book?

I'd try the usual suspects - where do you buy Tintin books? The ISBN numbers are ISBN-10: 1847960707, and ISBN-13: 978-1847960702, so if you take those into your favourite book retailer (a chain or an independent), they should be able to order it if they don't have it.

The Tintin Shop signing was a great success by all accounts, and it was a pleasure to see Dominique Maricq (author) and Stuart Tett (translator). The Shop has put up some photographs of the event on their Facebook Group.
marsbar
#6 · Posted: 9 Nov 2013 21:51
Tintinrulz:
I live in Australia though. Where might I be able to buy this book?

jock123:
I'd try the usual suspects - where do you buy Tintin books? The ISBN numbers are ISBN-10: 1847960707, and ISBN-13: 978-1847960702, so if you take those into your favourite book retailer (a chain or an independent), they should be able to order it if they don't have it.

The book is available in Australia now: yesterday I bought a copy off the shelf at Kinokuniya Books in Town Hall, Sydney, for A$55.00. (I also picked up a copy of "Tintin: from the archives of the Hergé Museum" there for A$49.95.)
asterixthegaul
#7 · Posted: 21 Nov 2013 08:05
marsbar:
The book is available in Australia now: yesterday I bought a copy off the shelf at Kinokuniya Books in Town Hall, Sydney, for A$55.00. (I also picked up a copy of "Tintin: from the archives of the Hergé Museum" there for A$49.95.)

BigW stores have them on sale at $45 plus change
mct16
#8 · Posted: 15 Dec 2013 17:40
Article from the UK Daily Telegraph about this book. This article includes a couple of lovely illustrations such as one of Tintin steering his boat through the reefs of the Black Island and the gorilla peering menacingly over the rocks! Brrrrr!
Jollywagg
#9 · Posted: 18 Dec 2013 01:39
I was thinking for getting this book but after the so-so review will pass. Just wanted to post the review here in case others were thinking of getting the book. The review is rather lukewarm to poor...

Telegraph review can be found here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10511178/Tintins-lost-treasur es.html

Edited: Link has already been posted about but there is a not so positive discussion about the translation/content.
hadtins
#10 · Posted: 29 Dec 2013 14:22
I didn't know anything of this book until today.
Can anyone tell me if this book is available anywhere in India?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!