Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix 35 Announced!: "Astèrix chez les Pictes"

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

mct16
#31 · Posted: 24 Oct 2013 10:55
BBC report on the new book.
jock123:
Le Figaro has read and reviewed the new Asterix

The review includes details of the plot. In the middle of winter, a block of ice is washed up on the beach near the Gaulish village. Inside the block is a Pict who has been frozen. The Gauls get the Pict out of the block of ice and revive him. Asterix and Obelix then accompany him back to his homeland where he intends to deal with an enemy who kidnapped the Pict's fiancee.

Apparently the enemy is drawn to look like Vincent Cassel, a French actor who has appeared in the "Ocean" films with George Cloney, "Black Swan" with Natalie Portman, and played the part of the gangster "Mesrine".
george
#32 · Posted: 28 Oct 2013 20:36
Well, they have certainly captured the feel of Asterix if perhaps not quite the spirit.

The artwork is good, the writing is good, the story itself leans toward adventure rather then attempting to be heavy on comedy. It is all played very safe, there is no stretching of boundaries or crossing into new territory. Pirates? Check. Warning about magic potion? Check. National stereotypes teased? Check. It feels very tentative, which is perhaps understandable given the legacy the creators are working with.

I also got the feeling there was a running joke which wasn't translatabled. Sometimes the art and the text seemed to be going in different directions. Perhaps an translatable pun?

Still, a solid 7 (Seven!)

George
rodney
#33 · Posted: 28 Oct 2013 23:56
I'm looking forward to it, I think it's a very brave attempt and I'm sure the new team would certainly feel some trepidation with the new adventure roll out. 'Don't reinvent the wheel' etc..
Perhaps it was a consensus to ease things out slowly and stick with the tried and true formula before any major things are attempted.

I was really surprised at the artwork for the cover, at first glance it looks like the good old Asterix! Was worried the pictures would look way different from what we are used to..
Can't wait for the Australian launch (has it come already?)!!
trash80
#34 · Posted: 29 Oct 2013 13:22
I got mine this morning.

I felt a mixture of delight and relief after I read it.

It's not the best Asterix story ever but certainly the best one for quite some time (not that the Uderzo ones were terrible, I even quite liked Falling Star).

I agree with the above that it's a bit safe but that's to be expected, they couldn't really go wrong with this one as it might have killed the NuAsterix project.

Hopefully we'll have lots more Asterix to come!
george
#35 · Posted: 16 Nov 2013 19:20
There is a nice interview/profile of the great Anthea Bell over at the Guardian, ostensibly because of the new Asterix, but it actually covers her whole career.

George
mct16
#36 · Posted: 14 Mar 2014 21:21
OK, I found "Asterix and the Picts" in the library and decided, "Well, it won't cost me anything so let's give it a try."

Conclusion, I'd say 3 out of 5. It's certainly an improvement on the misguided fantasy stories that Uderzo came up with ("Flying Carpet", "All at Sea", "Falling Sky"). Conrad and Ferri have made an auspicious if not particularly resounding debut. The plot was slow-paced and I think that Nessie was overused. A one-off appearance, like she does on page 21, would have sufficed. A promising beginning which bods well for the future, but we will have to see when it comes.

In reference to a previous discussion, I haven't been able to find any "These Picts are crazy!" remarks. Looks like Political Correctnus has had his way.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!