Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Rate All 24 Tintin Books

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

the_maharaja
#111 · Posted: 15 Apr 2013 00:13
rodney
What a great reply! Let me just respond with a few thoughts.
rodney:
Maybe read my article

I agree that Tibet is a story all about friendship. But to be honest I am still surprised if that's the main reason it's so popular among Tintin connoisseurs. The relationships aren't the main reason I personally like Tintin. Instead, I like the comics because the stories themselves are so interesting, especially since they're often placed in historical contexts and in foreign cultures. It's awesome that he goes to places like China, Arabia, Tibet, and Eastern Europe, and those countries are captured so well. I do wish Herge had done a better job in capturing the essence of some other countries though.

So, given the reason I like the comics so much, I guess you can understand why Tibet isn't my favorite story. He's not solving a mystery or a crime. But I do admit that Tibet is captured so well in the drawings and the story.
rodney:
I do think this book as well as Unicorn lifted The Adventures of Tintin into the stratosphere and elevated Tintin from great to exceptional

That's a lot of reasons why RR's T is so good! Also, the story and the quest for gold are obviously page turners. And the mystery of the island and exploration of the sea. Obviously, my sentiments reflect popular sentiments to some extent, given that the (admittedly terrible) CGI Tintin film is centered around the treasure hunt.

That's why I'm so confused, I don't understand why, on average, people on this forum rate RR's T as just an average book in the series.
Tintin3415
#112 · Posted: 15 Apr 2013 05:42
My List:
Land of the Soviets 4
Tintin in the Congo 5
Tintin in America 8
Cigars of the Pharaoh 9
Blue Lotus 6
Broken Ear 8
Black Island 7
King Ottokar's Sceptre 6
Crab with the Golden Claws 8
Shooting Star 5
Secret of The Unicorn 9
Red Rackham's Treasure 5
Seven Crystal Balls 8
Prisoners of the Sun 9
Land of Black Gold 6
Destination Moon 8
Explorers on the Moon 7
Calculus Affair 8
Red Sea Sharks 6
Tintin in Tibet 5
The Castafiore Emerald 2
Flight 714 8
Tintin and the Picaros 6
Tintin and Alph-Art - never read it
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 5

Does anybody know where you can buy Tintin and Alph-Art?
I've looked everywhere I can think of but I can't seem to find it.
Ajaypad
#113 · Posted: 5 Jun 2013 20:07
Hi... This is my first post.
One can rate each book based on its content, artwork, innovation, its humour/witty nature, and on how it touched deep within, or influenced, you.
Taking these into consideration I'l give it a try:

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in The Congo: I'm sorry I've not read them, so can't rate them.

Tintin in America: I'll give it 4/10 - too many stereotypes, not very funny. I didn'tt understand how Tintin was so lucky - he could have been killed a million times! The parts with the Native Americans were disgraceful. But good thing is that Hergé learnt from his mistakes quickly.

Cigars: 6/10 - Good story, but again too many stereotypes. Set the tone for a great Blue Lotus!

Blue Lotus: 8/10 - historically accurate, excellent book. Very good setting and theme.

Broken Ear: 5/10 for some reason - doesn't stick in my memory. Never found it very interesting.

King Ottokar's Sceptre: 8.5/10 - amazing political drama, excellent artwork. That newspaper article about Syldavia and Borduria is genius. Best book without Haddock to me!

Black Island: 7/10 - again great artwork - this book looks distinctly different from the previous work of Hergé. Tintin and Snowy combination never was the same again.

Crab with Golden Claws: 7/10 - mostly because it was Haddock's first.

Shooting Star: 6/10 - bit of science fiction, first time from Hergé. Interesting in parts.

Unicorn: 8/10 - here the Captain emerges as a primary character. First Tintin book I read - love the way the Captain narrates the story of Sir Francis to Tintin.

Red Rackham: 8/10 - extremely funny all the way, although I didn't like the climax, and I thought the artwork was not so great.

Seven Crystal Balls: 7.5/10 - quite eerie, and sets the tone for a great second book.

Prisoners: 9/10 - great book - the adventure, the supernatural, the friendship, and the remarkable finish.

Land of Black Gold: 9/10 - I found it to be some of Hergé's best work, and under-rated. The war theme, the economic under-current, a good foe (Müller), and also very funny. Whenever someone mentions a mirage, I think of this book!

Destination: 10/10 - might be a surprise? But you've got to give it to Hergé: amazing artwork, a lot of research has gone into it. I didn't really like it when I read it in my childhood, but I think it is incredible how it keeps you engaged.

Explorers: 9/10 - it can't be forgotten that this book was written 12 years before the Moon was first explored by man. It just took the Captain's histronics too far, otherwise - great!

Calculus Affair: 8/10 - a good book. Very interesting story, but I had enough of Syldavia/ Borduria by the end.

Red Sea Sharks: 7/10 felt a bit like a Hollywood movie... Like a last sequel of series.... So many villains.... Good book nevertheless

Tibet: 10/10 - this book touched me. The devotion in friendship, the spirituality, Tintin, the Captain, Chang and even the Sherpa guy and the Yeti. The adventure, and as Hergé himself put it, his best work.

Castafiore Emerald: 9.5/10 - it's a great book, but I understand why many don't like it. Nothing much happens, there is no adventure, no detective stuff, they never leave Marlinspike. But it is different, which is why it has to be appreciated. The paparazzi, the journalists. I think it's a path-breaking comic.

Flight714: 9.5/10 - I found it surprising many people here didn't like it, as I've always liked science fiction. It is extremely funny, the content not over the top, and the art's fantastic. Loved the scene where Rastapopoulos interrogates Carreidas.

Picaros: 8/10 - not a bad book, just felt the South American setting was overdone. Still enjoyable.

Lake of Sharks
: 3/10 - it's obviously not Hergé's work.

Alph-Art: Not fair to rate it.

Moderator note: Welcome to the forums, Ajaypad! Your debut post actually fitted better into this thread than the thread in which you'd originally posted it, so I've taken the liberty of shifting it, in case you're wondering how that happened. Balthazar :-)
mct16
#114 · Posted: 5 Jun 2013 23:53
Ajaypad:
The parts with the Native Americans were disgraceful.

In Herge's defence, although the Indians are portrayed as being manipulated and used by Bobby Smiles, he in fact very much admired them and sought to raise sympathy for them - as in the scene when they are forced off their land by soldiers. Herge always intended to write a Tintin story which would focus mainly on the Indians and their way of life - he even met some Sioux Indians in South Dakota in the 1970s - but ultimately did not get down to doing it.
MisterRastapopoulos
#115 · Posted: 6 Sep 2013 00:03
I've yet to read Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin in the Congo, so my apologies for not being able to rate them.

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets: N/A
Tintin in the Congo: N/A
Tintin in America: 5/10
Cigars of the Pharaoh: 6/10
The Blue Lotus: 8/10
The Broken Ear: 4/10
The Black Island: 7/10
King Ottokar's Sceptre: 9/10
The Crab with the Golden Claws: 6/10
The Shooting Star: 5.5/10
The Secret of The Unicorn: 7/10
Red Rackham's Treasure: 6.5/10
The Seven Crystal Balls: 8.5/10
Prisoners of the Sun: 8/10
Land of Black Gold: 7.5/10
Destination Moon: 8/10
Explorers on the Moon: 9/10
The Calculus Affair: 9.5/10
The Red Sea Sharks: 6.5/10
Tintin in Tibet: 7/10
The Castafiore Emerald: 8/10
Flight 714 to Sydney: 8/10
Tintin and the Picaros: 8/10
Tintin and Alph-Art: N/A
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks: N/A
polytope4d
#116 · Posted: 12 Sep 2013 19:25
Note: I am not lenient in awarding points.

Land of the Soviets = Not read
Tintin in the Congo = Not read
Tintin in America = 7
Cigars of the Pharaoh = 9
Blue Lotus = 8
Broken Ear = 6
Black Island = 7
King Ottokar's Sceptre = 9
Crab with the Golden Claws = 7
Shooting Star = 6
Secret of The Unicorn = 8
Red Rackham's Treasure = 8
Seven Crystal Balls = 9
Prisoners of the Sun = 8
Land of Black Gold = 7
Destination Moon = 7
Explorers on the Moon = 6
Calculus Affair = 7
Red Sea Sharks = 7
Tintin in Tibet = 8
The Castafiore Emerald = 1
Flight 714 = 5
Tintin and the Picaros = Not read
Tintin and Alph-Art = Not read
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks = 5
gorfdota
#117 · Posted: 5 Nov 2013 18:37
Land of the Soviets = 0
Tintin in the Congo = 2
Tintin in America = 3
Cigars of the Pharaoh = 7.5
Blue Lotus = 6.5
Broken Ear = 5.5
Black Island = 5
King Ottokar's Sceptre = 3.5
Crab with the Golden Claws = 3.5
Shooting Star = 10
Secret of The Unicorn = 9.5
Red Rackham's Treasure = 8.5
Seven Crystal Balls = 9.5
Prisoners of the Sun = 8
Land of Black Gold = 7.5
Destination Moon = 6.5
Explorers on the Moon = 7
Calculus Affair = 10
Red Sea Sharks = 9.5
Tintin in Tibet = 9.5
The Castafiore Emerald = 9.5
Flight 714 = 9.5
Tintin and the Picaros = 8.5
Tintin and Alph-Art = 9
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks = 1.5
jolyon496
#118 · Posted: 19 Nov 2013 03:29
This would probably change from time to time, but here goes:

Land of the Soviets 8
Tintin in the Congo 6
Tintin in America 7
Cigars of the Pharaoh 8
Blue Lotus 10
Broken Ear 8
Black Island 9
King Ottokar's Sceptre 7
Crab with the Golden Claws 7
Shooting Star 10
Secret of The Unicorn 6
Red Rackham's Treasure 9
Seven Crystal Balls 6
Prisoners of the Sun 8
Land of Black Gold 5
Destination Moon 9
Explorers on the Moon 9
Calculus Affair 6
Red Sea Sharks 5
Tintin in Tibet 8
The Castafiore Emerald 6
Flight 714 6
Tintin and the Picaros 4
Tintin and Alph-Art (Rodier Version) 6
Tintin and Alph-Art (Unfinished Sketches Version)4
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 4
Tintin77
#119 · Posted: 7 Dec 2013 21:16
Okay, I like all the books, so the ratings are generally very high:

Land of the Soviets 7
Tintin in the Congo 5
Tintin in America 9
Cigars of the Pharaoh 9
Blue Lotus 10
Broken Ear 10
Black Island 10
King Ottokar's Sceptre 10
Crab with the Golden Claws 8
Shooting Star 10
Secret of The Unicorn 10
Red Rackham's Treasure 10
Seven Crystal Balls 10
Prisoners of the Sun 10
Land of Black Gold 10
Destination Moon 10
Explorers on the Moon 10
Calculus Affair 10
Red Sea Sharks 10
Tintin in Tibet 10
The Castafiore Emerald 10
Flight 714 10
Tintin and the Picaros 10
Tintin and Alph-Art 5
Tintin and the Lake of Sharks 5
hadtins
#120 · Posted: 31 Dec 2013 17:38
Well, I couldn't join in this conversation sooner as I only joined recently, but I'd like to start now, straight away.
As a matter of fact, I like all the books, as I'm sure no other comic series like this masterpiece of Hergé has ever existed or will exist.
It is difficult to rate the books, but I'll try it anyway:

Land of the Soviets - 7.5 A good beginning, and quite appreciable about the fact that Hergé brought forth some of the facts of history during the Bolshevik revolution and the late 1920's. But the drawings could have been a bit more polished.

Tintin in the Congo - 7 Nice beginning, but I didn't like the way Tintin has been shown as a big game hunter in the series. Also the stereotypes about the natives are rather negative :(

Tintin in America – 8 I liked the way Tintin escaped from the Blackfeet. Also, Lake Michigan, Chicago, dairies etc. helped me in "The Lake Region Of U.S.A." in our Geography lessons this year ;)

Cigars of the Pharaoh – 8 The first time where careless scientists (in this case, archeologist) are introduced in the series. The poison of madness (Rajaijah) was also great, but it had a few stereotypes.

Blue Lotus – 8.5 A real turning point in the comic series. You get to know a lot about History in the East Asian countries (i.e. Japan and China), and Hergé must have done it as a reference to the Opium War in the 1840's. A very nice plot. And you get to know about "null code" in this book.

Broken Ear – 9 I liked the cover page, as I love forests, rivers and adventure together. Hergé used The Broken Ear to allude to real events that had recently taken place in South America. The fictional countries of San Theodoros and Nuevo Rico were based on the real countries Bolivia and Paraguay, while the Gran Chapo War depicted in the strip was an allusion to the Gran Chaco War (1932–35) that was waged between Bolivian and Paraguayan forces over lucrative oil fields in the Gran Chaco region. So it helped me in history once again.

Black Island – 9 Funny about the part dealing with Snowy and his bone. Also, Snowy's antics on the railway track after getting drunk makes me laugh. ;)

King Ottokar's Sceptre - 8 Introduction to Syldavia. The unseen leader of the conspiracy, Müsstler, a blend of Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler is one of the most detestable villains. Quite an interesting plot.

Crab with the Golden Claws – 9.5 A real standing-out moment in comic strip history where Tintin meets Captain Haddock, an addition to the Tintin characters.

Shooting Star – 8 Nice story. Interesting about the gigantic things which grew on the element "phostite". Also, Tintin's dream was a real funny nightmare.

Secret of The Unicorn – 10 I usually like stories on treasure and old ships and pirates. Plus the Thom(p)sons' trail on the pickpocket added humour.

Red Rackham's Treasure – 9.5 Underwater diving, sea walking, submarines and sharks made a great combination with acts of humour and the addition of Professor Calculus, one of my favourites.

Seven Crystal Balls – 10 Easily one of my favourites. A new sense of adventure and mystery. Mysterious from the beginning, and the mystery doesn't end even in the end.

Prisoners of the Sun - 10 I liked the way Tintin saved his friends and himself with that bit of news about the eclipse. Moreover, the journey was great – through forests, mountains and even underneath waterfalls. And there's absolutely nothing to say about the llamas and Captain Haddock. ;)

Land of Black Gold – 8 Abdullah was quite annoying. At times I felt it would have served him right if Tintin had not gone to his rescue. Formula fourteen and its effects on the Thom(p)sons was very funny. But I missed Captain in the story.

Destination Moon – 10 Got to appreciate it for the use of Science in the comics. To think of a blueprint of the rocket years before man went to the moon. Moreover, the Captain's efforts of trying to cure Professor Calculus of his temporary memory loss and "acting like the goat" are really funny.

Explorers on the Moon - 10 Rockets and space flights – easy favourites.

Calculus Affair - 10 This has got to be on my top lists as it was the first Tintin book I bought. It interested me because of the professors invention, Captain Haddock and his having Swiss wine in Professor Topolino's house as well as the sticking plaster. Also the chaos caused by Arturo Benedetto da Milano, the Italian driver who drove troppo presto was great.

Red Sea Sharks - 9 Abdullah returns to the comics and so does General Alcazar. And Roberto Rastapopoulous back as villain once again. That's enough for a plot.

Tintin in Tibet – 10+ (possibly infinity) The best comic book for me. The plot is taken up to a highly interesting level, and all about the humanity of Tintin and friendship, not only between Tintin and Tchang, but also between Captain Haddock and Tintin, and the compassion of the Yeti towards Tchang makes the comic a real masterpiece.

The Castafiore Emerald – 7 I didn't enjoy it much especially because of the way Castafiore pestered Captain Haddock, and also because of the Captain's misfortune (broken stair slab). I quite sympathize the captain.

Tintin and the Picaros - 7.5 Must say I preferred the Tintin in the earlier books of the series. His lack in the usual interest for adventure is a bit disappointing. And Tintin's plus fours are gone too :(

Tintin and Alph-Art - N/A Yet to be read.

Tintin and the Lake of Sharks – N/A Can't include it under the Tintin series.

This was tough work really.

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!