Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Any Beatles fans out there?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Tintin3415
#11 · Posted: 28 Aug 2013 16:44
mct16:
"The Voronov Plot" includes a scene of Paul watching John perform at a fete

Didn't know that that's really cool I'll have to check that out:)
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 14 Sep 2013 17:17
jock123:
My favourite picture(s) are the ones used on the cover of The Beatles Live at the BBC, where they are walking down Lower Regent's Street looking fairly serious, and the next second they are being silly.

The official Beatles site has just announced On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2 is to be released this November. They are using an equally nice photo as the cover, which looks as if it's taken near Broadcasting House in Portland Place.

Happy days!
GSC
#13 · Posted: 14 Sep 2013 17:26
My little brother likes them. I used to be there biggest fan, but I listen to Trance music now.
jock123
#14 · Posted: 14 Sep 2013 21:03
Harrock n roll:
looks as if it's taken near Broadcasting House in Portland Place

A little bit further away, but not too far off!
They are actually on Guilford Street, just off Russell Square, having left the President Hotel, where they were staying.
If you look at Google Street View, you can see the corner they were on when Dezo Hoffman took the picture - the way the pavement flares out, giving the odd angle to the houses on the far side of the road; the person in the blue shirt in the picture is about where The Beatles were at the time.
Most tellingly, although they are passing an open, pillared area under the multi-storey building, which has been walled in and is occupied by a bank today, you can still see the same wall and railing sticking out at right-angles from the bank's wall in the picture from the Sixties, where it is about the level of George's left thigh.
There are quite a few photos from the same shoot, along a route to a Soho tailor's where were they measured for suits - some of them taken in the gardens in the middle of Russell Square.
They've done a really nice job on the picture, as it has been tidied up and colour tinted, being that it was taken in black and white. Some extraneous people are now gone from the background, and George's tie has been made longer, instead of finishing well short of his waist! It's colour pictures taken in the square gardens which have allowed them the reference material needed to colourize the pictures accurately.
I hope the music is as good - apparently the tapes are more recently sourced than the original volume one (which I thought was excellent!), and are of better quality than what they had for these numbers before, which is why they can release new collection now.
Tintin3415
#15 · Posted: 19 Sep 2013 04:55
Harrock n roll
Yeah, I heard about that:)
I have the "Live at the BBC" album and really enjoy it, I was really excited when I heard about volume 2!
I can't wait until it comes out I think it comes out November 11th.
jock123
#16 · Posted: 22 Sep 2013 15:14
jock123:
George's tie has been made longer

Hmm... it would appear that there are (at least) two versions of the cover art in circulation: one with the elongated tie, and one without.
I wonder which will arrive in the shops?
Harrock n roll
#17 · Posted: 27 Sep 2013 22:15
jock123:
They are actually on Guilford Street, just off Russell Square

Thanks for the info Simon, I know exactly where, just coming up opposite to the corner of the Russell Hotel on Russell Square. I recently saw a large poster of the original photo (in a café down in Swanage) and noted where people (and cars?) had been removed from the background. Nice job they've done overall. And the tie is indeed shorter in the original.
jock123:
I wonder which will arrive in the shops?

My money's on the longer tie. I mean, it really won't do to have George in a shorter tie than John and Ringo, will it? We can't see Paul's because he's wearing a jumper (I'm surprised they've allowed that) hence the confusion over whether George's should be longer or shorter. However, I fancy Paul's tie was exactly the same length as John and Ringo's.

I've seen the track listing and there is less in the way of previously unreleased cover versions. There's 'Talking 'bout You', which is a great one, and 'Beautiful Dreamer'. I'm slightly disappointed not to see anything from their very first radio broadcast from mid '62, which features Pete Best on drums. I expect the sound quality is too poor on the surviving recording and they haven't found a better source.

My favourites from the first album are the songs exclusive to the BBC sessions; "I Got To Find My Baby", "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You", "Soldier Of Love", "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby", "A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues", "I'll Be On My Way"... But that's not to say there aren't some great session versions of their more well-known tunes. I'm sure we'll get that with this new volume.
jock123
#18 · Posted: 29 Sep 2013 00:57
Harrock n roll:
I know exactly where, just coming up opposite to the corner of the Russell Hotel on Russell Square.

That's the one! Yes, I pass it regularly on the 168 bus into town, so it was quite familiar.

Harrock n roll:
it really won't do to have George in a shorter tie than John and Ringo, will it?

Don't know about that - he may have been the quiet one, but he was a rebel!

Harrock n roll:
I expect the sound quality is too poor on the surviving recording and they haven't found a better source.

The fragment they played of it on one of the old "Beatles at the Beeb" programmes (a bit of "A Picture of You", I seem to recall?) sounded more like bcon frying than The Beatles playing, there was so much static, so sadly it seems we'll have to wait for someone to uncover a forgotten reel of off-air tape before hearing any more... :-(

I'm still also certain I used to have an off-air recording of "Three Cool Cats" from "Saturday Club" or "Top Gear", played by Brian Matthews on "Sounds of The Sixties", which I made way back in the eighties - but it never seems to surface, and isn't in any of the books I've seen, and most of my cassettes are long gone... :-(
mct16
#19 · Posted: 28 Nov 2013 18:01
A graphic novel has been published recently: "The Fifth Beatle", written by Vivek J. Tiwary and drawn by Andrew Robinson and Kyle Baker. It is actually the story of their manager Brian Epstein and how he led the group to superstardom. It also touches on Epstein's homosexuality: an early scene has him meeting a sailor in the back streets of Liverpool, only to get beaten up!

A preview of it can he seen here. It is available on Amazon as both book and Kindle version.
tuhatkauno
#20 · Posted: 4 Dec 2013 07:22
The Beatles ... hmm ... sounds familiar somehow. Is it an Australian band? I've recently heart few songs of them (the continuing story of bungalow bill, your song) and I really liked these jingles a lot. I can promise the band will have a brilliant future.

;-)

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!