Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Rackham's Treasure: Professor Calculus' iconic shark submarine

modelnut
#1 · Posted: 2 Apr 2014 22:55
I am very interested in the submarine Tintin used in "Red Rackham's Treasure" but I don't have the book yet. I have only seen illustrations of it online as well as the €229 resin statue.

I want to build my own from scratch. But I need to know some specifics, if any are offered in the text.
Do the "eyes" and "mouth" have a function? Or are they merely decorative?

Links removed by Moderator

The "eyes" are fared into the hull and not just painted in the second image. I can imagine them to be mini-torpedo tubes or lights.

The "mouth" and "gills" could be water intakes, maybe? To cool the mechanics of the sub?

I plan on buying some of the book very soon. But I may start work on the sub sooner. Can anybody help me out?

- Leelan

Moderator Note: Hi Leelan, and welcome. As you will have noted in the Forum Rules when you signed up, we have to be very careful not to link to unofficial sites, or places which use images without permission. Your links to the pictures have had to be removed. The first was from the book, the second from the cartoon film Tintin and the Lake of Sharks, which is why they are different in several respects.
The Tintinologist Team
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 3 Apr 2014 11:18
I don't think any plans or dimensions are given at all. What scale are you planning on building the submarine to?
Is it going to be fully working or a static model?

Maybe you should contact Fabien Cousteau (The great Jacques Cousteau's Grandson) as his team have built a shark shaped submarine inspired by Professor Calculus's machine.
http://fabiencousteau.org/projects/

Bear in mind its reported cost was over 100,000 US Dollars.
modelnut
#3 · Posted: 3 Apr 2014 12:51
It will be static. I have a fleet of 1:72 scale subs now (not all assembled), so I will probably build one to that scale.
But I thought about getting the commercially available figures of Tintin and Snowy which seem to be either 32nd or 35th scale, and building the sub to fit them.

- Leelan

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!