Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Suggestions Wanted: Tintin present for brother's 50th birthday?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

harrocknroll
#1 · Posted: 21 Jul 2014 20:49
Can anyone on the forum help me out please?

I am looking to get my brother a Tintin present for his 50th birthday.

Any suggestions would be of help from good to the downright ridiculous. Thanks in advance.
illustration inc
#2 · Posted: 22 Jul 2014 10:27
It was my birthday last week and I was given by my most wonderful girlfriend a 1st edition of 'The Secret of the Unicorn' 1959. If he hasn't already got it I can tell you that it makes the receiver smile quite a bit!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 22 Jul 2014 21:05
I got a trip to Brussels and then taken to the Musée Hergé for mine - that was a most welcome present! :-)
illustration inc
#4 · Posted: 23 Jul 2014 08:59
Absolutely, a great present Jock123! That's certainly something I need to do again very soon. Last time I went I couldn't help myself but buy a very large cardboard cut out of Tintin on the motorbike with the Thom(p)sons in mid-fall off the back from King Ottokar's Sceptre.
It was quite a mission to get that back to London in one piece!
mct16
#5 · Posted: 23 Jul 2014 13:11
Nice suggestions, but in terms of modest budgets a visit to the Tintin Shop or the Bloomsbury Store might be a good idea: figurines, posters, you name it.

My own presents in the past few years have included Hergé bios, such as the ones by Benoît Peeters and Harry Thompson.

His own life was quite fascinating and it is interesting to know how both Hergé and Tintin developed over the years and the struggles that they both had to face.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 23 Jul 2014 18:02
mct16:
a visit to the Tintin Shop or the Bloomsbury Store might be a good idea

Good suggestions (as might any of the outlets mentioned in our Shopping Guide), but the question wasn't so much where as what to get.

Other good festive books are Dominique Maricq's excellent Hergé and the Treasures of Tintin, and Michel Daubert's coffee table book Tintin: The Art of Hergé.
illustration inc
#7 · Posted: 23 Jul 2014 18:07
I find that a modest budget can actually achieve quite a lot when you search like a hawk and are good at haggling! Any trip to Floral Street will usually end up in me buying a present for myself!
harrocknroll
#8 · Posted: 24 Jul 2014 09:33
Thanks to everyone for the help - I'm lucky that his birthday isn't 'til the end of January!
Ranko
#9 · Posted: 24 Jul 2014 20:45
How about a ticket to Chateau de Cheverny? It's only 14 Euro entrance fee to the Chateau, the gardens and 'The secrets of Marlinspike Hall'

I'm not sure if you'd want to pay for him to get there however. That could be up to him.
Mind you, 50 is a big birthday. (So I keep reminding my wife! Just so she doesn't forget me... !)
illustration inc
#10 · Posted: 25 Jul 2014 08:03
Ranko, thank you so much for giving me ideas for my next birthday too! That's one place I have yet to visit and would truly love to.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!