Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Tintin Newspaper Strips: Plans for more collections?

Pharaoh
#1 · Posted: 28 Feb 2015 23:29
Just finished the two parts of "La Malédiction de Rascar Capac", and found them to be absolutely brilliant and rich in trivia and information. Naturally this made me hunger for more, so I was wondering if you are aware of future projects to create similar collections of the original newspaper strips of other adventures. Thank you.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 2 Mar 2015 11:43
Pharaoh:
I was wondering if you are aware of future projects to create similar collections of the original newspaper strips of other adventures.

Not aware of anything, but then again, the Rascar Capac volumes were pretty much a surprise, considering it was only in 2012 that the Les Mystères des 7 Boules de cristal (The Seven Crystal Balls) was reproduced in a collection of newspaper strips for the first time.
There were two earlier volumes covering the Secret of The Unicorn/ Prisoners of the Sun storyline, so it is possible that these might be re-released as uniform editions with La Malédiction.

It's probably worth noting that the completists amongst us may want to have both the earlier and the more recent versions of the newspaper Seven Crystal Balls, as they are not identical, and have variations in the commentary and accompanying illustrations.
Pharaoh
#3 · Posted: 2 Mar 2015 13:40
It's probably worth noting that the completists amongst us may want to have both the earlier and the more recent versions of the newspaper Seven Crystal Balls

I would strongly encourage you to do that. The first volume of "La Malédiction de Rascar Capac" has a wealth of information that eclipses the previous book, and it also has a few extra strips that never made it to "Le Soir", which I believe had not yet been discovered when the first book came out. These two new volumes are pretty much the jewel of my Tintin collection, therefore I'm eager to see more adventures receiving the same treatment.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 2 Mar 2015 20:09
I imagine that "Shooting Star" would be next - though there might be a debate over whether or not it is appropriate given the portrayal of Jews in the original strip.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 3 Mar 2015 23:54
mct16
I'm seem to recall someone (at Moulinsart?) stating that the reason there hasn't been a volume for The Shooting Star is that the original artwork no longer exists. I assume it isn't entirely missing- there's plenty of extracts in the Chronologie series, amongst other places, but I do remember this being given as the primary reason for the lack of a newspaper strip compilation volume.

That said, it's clear from the original book releases of the Rackham/Crystal Balls daily strips that lack of artwork is not necessarily a barrier to publication, and that reproductions of newspaper prints will suffice, but it's worth bearing in mind that it may not be solely down to objectionable content.
Pharaoh
#6 · Posted: 4 Mar 2015 07:06
Richard:
That said, it's clear from the original book releases of the Rackham/Crystal Balls daily strips that lack of artwork is not necessarily a barrier to publication,

You are right indeed. In the beginning of the second volume of "La Malédiction de Rascar Capac", a note mentions that the strips are taken from the best available copies of the publication. At least that's what I think since French is my third language.

Would love to see the original Shooting Star, as well as Land of Black Gold with the Petits Vingtiemes B/W strips published up to 1940, then the 1950 version with the original strips before the 1971 edits.
luinivierge2010
#7 · Posted: 5 Mar 2015 15:17
There will in fact be a further dedicated series of books - all serial versions to be published with commentary (black and white stories and Journal Tintin colour stories):

http://www.philippemellot.com/pages/cv.html

"Les Œuvres complètes d'Hergé en prépublication originale, conception et rédaction, [Philippe Mellot] avec Jean-Marie Embs et Benoît Peeters. La collection comprendra 12 forts volumes reliés de 400 à 550 pages (2 volumes par an). Casterman/Moulinsart".

More snippets of information scattered over the web. It's basically the team behind the "Archives Tintin" series plus Benoit Peeters providing biographical coverage.
Pharaoh
#8 · Posted: 5 Mar 2015 15:51
luinivierge2010:
There will in fact be a further dedicated series of books - all serial versions to be published with commentary

Let me put it this way; I love you more than I love fresh cookies and milk! Thank you very much for making my entire week!!!!!! :D

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!