Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Eurovision Song Contest: General discussion

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 14 May 2004 04:48
Who else enjoys watching the Eurovision Song Contest? :)
- marsbar
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 14 May 2004 13:47
It used to mean much more back in the 70s but now I suppose it's quite amusing for kitsch value... Bruce Forsyth almost sparking an international incident was one of the most painful moments.

I'm off to see Bjorn Again again (i first saw them in the early 90's), because I'm quite partial to a bit of ABBA - No one comes near them IMO.

I expect you Aussies have to get up pretty early for your Eurovision parties...
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 14 May 2004 19:00
Hello marsbar,
Are you watching the Eurovision song contest in Australia ? I am surprised ! It's really difficult for me to watch it from the beginning to the end. I prefer the last part (jurys giving points).
marsbar
#4 · Posted: 15 May 2004 10:28
Harrock n roll: I expect you Aussies have to get up pretty early for your Eurovision parties...

No, the coverage of Eurovision is always delayed over here, so we do not get to watch the event until the evening after. But we did stay up last night to celebrate and to watch the live broadcast of the Danish Royal Wedding.

ABBA made a small scale comeback at this year's Eurovision semi final: they appeared in a humourous short film called 'Our last video ever!'

chevet: Are you watching the Eurovision song contest in Australia ? I am surprised! It's really difficult for me to watch it from the beginning to the end. I prefer the last part (jurys giving points).

I sure am, Etienne; I follow the event every year even though I do not enjoy the show as much as when the native language rule was in place. It is a good thing the bad hair and the gaudy outfits are still there. :-)
Danagasta
#5 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 17:17
Eurovision is unavailable here in the US unless you have a really expensive satellite package. But I do like ABBA either way ^_^ Harrock n roll, we have something in common there!!!

At one time, we did have a station that would show excerpts from Eurovision..I think it was a digital cable/satellite network called Ovation. But our digital cable provider keeps doing away with it, then bringing it back, and so on, so you can never tell what's going on.
snafu
#6 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 18:43
Some of the Eurovision materials are available worldwide on the Net.

At the same time, however, there is not that much value to it; many of the larger countries like the UK and France always make it to the finals or something like that because they are, well, the main European countries. For smaller countries, however, this is a big affair because of the potential for more much-needed publicity...

Still possibly fun to watch, though, even parts of it...
Danagasta
#7 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 19:07
I understand completely! But also, ever since ABBA proved themselves there, the newer contestants have had a LOT to live up to. I doubt it'll ever be half that good anymore anyway ^_^
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 20:56
The Eurovision song contest always amuses me and I tune in every year!

Always makes me laugh because I really don't think the newer countries into the contest realise that Western Europe see the contest as a bit of a joke and really try hard to win.

Britains entries have been woeful since Katrina and the Waves when we deservedly won. We should be forced to pre-qualify so we don't have to put up with the indignity of finishing so low.

Rik
WorldCinemalover_17
#9 · Posted: 25 Apr 2015 07:54
I wonder if there will be a Eurovision Song Contest representing cartoon characters, Bianca Castafiore should represent Belgium :-)

Also, France will also bring Getafix (Asterix) to the ESC

Besides, the Eurovision nowadays is just a group of Getafixs living in each European country singing in different, eye-candy stages :D
mct16
#10 · Posted: 26 Apr 2015 09:30
I would not be surprised if a future winner was deliberately dressed as Castafiore or Getafix. Previous winners have included Klingons from Finland and a bearded man-who-dresses-as-a-woman from Austria. Fancy-dress wins over talent (not that singing talent is really a requirement).

Moderator Note: You are getting perilously close to trolling flame-baiting with this post - it isn't furthering the discussion so much as it seems to be designed to stir controversy; if you don't like the music or aesthetic of Lordi and Conchita Wurst that is your prerogative, but it would be courteous to at least name them, and not just dismiss them with off-hand descriptions which could be misconstrued.
The Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!