Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

"Asterix vsTintin": Can you read both?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

MT50446
#1 · Posted: 12 May 2015 18:17
I know many posters on here also read Asterix books which to me is an alien concept.
When I was at school many years ago it was Tintin or Asterix never the twain shall meet.
Granted people admire the artwork similarities and indeed differences in both but for me if you read Tintin as a 7 year old kid growing up Asterix were the enemy .
Tottenham to Arsenal if you like.
This is obviously not the case amongst most on here .
I have on occasion tried to thumb through an Asterix book but just can't enjoy it.
Anyone else have the same feelings ?
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 12 May 2015 22:05
MT50446:

Not really,no. To me it's like comparing apples and oranges.
I enjoyed both when I was growing up and I still do now.

The names of many of the Romans still make me smile. 'Gluteus Maximus', Marcus Ginantonicus', Nefarious
Purpus' and 'Dubious Status' to name a few!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 12 May 2015 22:43
MT50446:

Nope, can't say I've ever been aware of any animosity - good comics were good comics, added to which they were the only comics you could find in the library when I was a child (Lucky Luke turning up a might later) so we took what we could!
MT50446
#4 · Posted: 13 May 2015 06:26
Must be a 1970's South London thing then 😀
advnarayan
#5 · Posted: 13 May 2015 08:17
I enjoy both.
I was introduced to Franco-Belgian popular culture by Asterix way back in 1991 - when I was 14 years old - through The Mansions of the Gods, the same year I read Tintin and the Lake of Sharks. From then on I was hooked.
I venerate Goscinny, Uderzo and Hergé, and I believe a good camaraderie existed among the three legends: if I am not mistaken Goscinny was the co-screenplay writer of Tintin and the Blue Oranges; Thomson and Thompson makes a cameo appearance in Asterix in Belgium; and Asterix (and other comic legends like Donald Duck) makes an appearance in Tintin and the the Picaros.
There have been many fan attempts also to bring together Asterix and Tintin.
Hats off to these legendary creators!
MT50446
#6 · Posted: 13 May 2015 17:33
It seems like quite a bond between the two - for the record, my wife was an Asterix, fan but never got into to Tintin.
Funnily enough, I have never been a fan of comic books apart from Tintin: I'm probably a rare breed on here, as it seems to me many members are indeed massive fans of the comic book/ illustrated novel/ whatever you like to call them.
It's Tintin for me, end of.
marlinspike421
#7 · Posted: 6 Nov 2015 04:44
Sorry to come into this discussion so late. During my teenage years I became so entrenched in Tintin that I just could not cross over to Asterix. However my best mate at school (we are still good mates today) was the opposite - a dedicated Asterix reader.
camperdown9
#8 · Posted: 24 Feb 2016 14:01
Hi

I live part of the time in France where Asterix is seen as nearly a national hero. I have tried lots of times to read Asterix, but I just don't find it funny and don't enjoy reading them.

I should say that I have only recently started to read Tintin, but that's totally different.
I love Tintin and am actually trying to stop myself from reading the complete series one after the other. I am not in a hurry to get to the last book.

(Might give Asterix another go at some point.)

Alex
Richard1631978
#9 · Posted: 24 Feb 2016 20:42
I like both Tintin & Asterix, even though they are quite different in style.
Momber
#10 · Posted: 1 Mar 2016 15:25
I gave up after reading a few of them. The whole magic potion thing put me right off.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!