Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Fungus the Bogeyman

jockosjungle
#1 · Posted: 5 Dec 2004 16:11
Really a minor thing to mention here, but in today's Sunday Times in its Culture Section there is a minor reference to Hergé and Tintin in an article about the awful Fungus the Bogeyman series currently on TV.

It describes Raymond Briggs as a British Hergé, and a bit about the more adult comic genre that RB brought into the mainstream.

Rik
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 5 Dec 2004 17:15
There was an article by Raymond Briggs on Hergé and Tintin in the Sunday Telegraph back in March where he mentioned Hergé as a major influence. I can't comment on the series - I saw half of the first episode which was so-so - but the book is a classic and Raymond Briggs is a genius in my view. I also heartily recommend his last book Ethel and Ernest (there's some pages here).
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 5 Dec 2004 19:14
Not read Ethel and Ernest, I will have to look out for it! I really love his other work though - When the Wind Blows and Gentlemen Jim especially.

The second episode was slightly better than the first, but it's nothing compared to the book

Rik
OJG
#4 · Posted: 5 Dec 2004 21:20
The book of Fungus the Bogeyman is a classic, as is my favourite, Father Christmas and its sequel Father Christmas Goes on Holiday.

Fantastic stuff.
Karaboudjan
#5 · Posted: 26 Feb 2005 17:57
I like Raymond Briggs too, although comparisons to Hergé seem a bit far of the mark.

Or maybe I'm just biased.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!