Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Exhibition: "Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece", Somerset House, Nov 2015-Jan 2016

jock123
#1 · Posted: 4 Aug 2015 14:31
Somerset House, a prestigious central-London venue, overlooking the River Thames, has been announced as the venue for a forthcoming exhibition on the works of Hergé.
Entitled Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece, it is described as a career overview starting from his work on the newspaper; any opportunity to see the original art should not be missed if possible, and the galleries at Somerset House are a great place to show them.
The publicity says that it will display models of significant locations in the stories, including Tintin's flat, suggests that these may be the displays made for the Tintin and the City exhibition which ran in Brussels in 2004 - if so that's great, as they were all lovely.
Running from the 12th of November, 2015 to the 31st January, 2016, it will be open daily from 10:00 to 18:00, with last entry three-quarters of an hour before.

And if that wasn't good enough, entry is free!

Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece the exhibition will be accompanied by the publication of a book of the same name by Pierre Sterckx, which will be released on the 28th of September by Rizzoli.
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 4 Aug 2015 18:09
Thanks for the heads up on that, jock123. I'll certainly try and make sure I'm in London between those dates!
MT50446
#3 · Posted: 7 Aug 2015 10:12
Great news can't wait Tintin in London gotta be worth a look and free couldn't be better
jock123
#4 · Posted: 7 Aug 2015 11:16
There is a short article about the event on the Culture24 website.
number1fan
#5 · Posted: 9 Aug 2015 16:57
This is perfect. The last Tintin exhibition I went to was in The National Maritime Museum in 2004.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 12 Nov 2015 12:45
Well, the Tintin exhibition at Somerset House (opening today, running until the end of January) is well worth a visit - quite compact, but none the worse for it!

Harrock n Roll and myself were at the press-launch yesterday morning, for the guided tour by expert and Tintinologist par excellence Michael Farr.

Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece is set out in such a way that it will allow the casual visitor to stroll through and feel that they have seen a good cross-section of his work and life-story, but still has more than enough detail in the choice of exhibits to give even the most dedicated fan a lot to stop and see.

Add to that some very striking decor running throughout, including good use of the architecture of the venue to emphasise the importance of windows in the stories, and some amazing models built for this exhibition, and it looks like it should be a great success!

And it's free!
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 11 Dec 2015 10:47
I paid a visit to this exhibition last week.Truly splendid display worth the visit nice models and original work by Herge from Le Petit and even a little Tintin shop inside.
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 16 Jan 2016 20:49
Some photos of the exhibition from today's Guardian

Tintin: Hergé's masterpiece - in pictures

I visited the exhibition today (first time since the press launch) with my four-year-old daughter, Millie. It was really quite busy. There was a lady visitor who came dressed as Tintin carrying a Snowy plush; very impressive. Millie enjoyed the funny mirrors (based on the mirrors at the curiosity shop where they bought the diving suit in Red Rackham's Treasure). She also liked the models; the Tintin In America ticker tape parade, the evening return journey from the theatre in Seven Crystal Balls, the plan of Tintin's apartment at 26 Labrador Road and the model of Marlinspike Hall.
jock123
#9 · Posted: 31 Jan 2016 22:39
The exhibition finally came to a close today, and it'll be sad to see it go.

The reviews have been strongly favourable, and feedback through Twitter and the like from members of the public seems to have been equally enthusiastic; it's to be hoped that that will be taken on board by other institutions which might think about mounting other events as a result.

I'm sure we would all like to thank Moulinsart, Somerset House, The Tintin Shop of Covent Garden, and Rizzoli Books for all the effort and thought that went into what has been a thoroughly bright spot in a rather grey and miserable winter!

For those of you unable to get to the exhibition, and for anyone who went who just wants a reminder of what it was like, there's a photo album available over on our Facebook page.
illustration inc
#10 · Posted: 11 Feb 2016 09:57
I enjoyed it very much and thank all involved. I'm looking forward to new exhibitions and to the one in Paris next Autumn :)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!