Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Forthcoming Book: "Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece" by Pierre Sterckx (due 28/09/2015)

jock123
#1 · Posted: 17 Mar 2015 11:36
Publishers Rizzoli have announced that they are to release an English translation (carried out by the redoubtable Michael Farr) of art critic Pierre Sterckx's Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece.

The publisher's description is as follows:
Drawing on the archives of the Hergé Museum in Brussels, this book looks at the evolution of Hergé's artwork, from the simplicity of the early newspaper strips to the sophisticated graphic work of the later books.
An avid art collector, Hergé was inspired by Old Masters but infatuated with graphic design and modern art, from the Constructivist work he studied in his youth to the Lichtenstein and Miró pictures he would travel to see in his maturity.

The price in the U.S. and Canada is given as $50 (don't know what the exchange rate is between the two countries, but that may either signal a bargain from one side of the order to the other, or jut reflect parity in the two currencies) and it's listed at €45.85 on Amazon.fr; the book is on Amazon.co.uk, but without a price attached, which might mean that a U.K. published is going to produce a separate British edition.

I will contact the publisher for further details, and let you know when I hear anything new.
advnarayan
#2 · Posted: 22 Mar 2015 02:55
This is good news!
The book is also listed on Amazon.in, and I for one will definitely be buying it.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 1 Sep 2015 00:07
The book will be carried by Rizzoli's UK arm, and is now on Amazon.co.uk for £35.
I've been in touch with them, and the book looks like it will be produced to a very high standard.
I hope to have a review up shortly after the publication date, so keep checking back for developments.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 14 Oct 2015 13:34
If you wish to cultivate a modern art collection along the lines of that of Hergé, you might be interested to know that Sotheby's in London will be auctioning a slashed canvas by Lucio Fontana, similar to those which he owned, and which are covered in the Sterckx book.
Concetto Spaziale, Attese (1963/64) can be seen on the Sotheby's website, here.

Update: It sold for £989,000, or nearly four times the lower estimate... Someone else out there must appreciate modern art as much as Hergé did!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!