Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Tintin Posters with English Titles

Captain Hammock
#1 · Posted: 29 Jul 2015 05:35
Help! I'm trying to decorate my son's nursery with Tintin posters (he's due in September).
I grew up reading the English books, so I want to get posters with English titles.
I know they exist because I've seen them in person at a local Tintin shop here in San Francisco (which has since closed - boo!).
It's driving me mad that I can't find English posters anywhere on the internet.
Does anyone know where I can find them? Help!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 29 Jul 2015 09:54
Hmmm... Sorry to say it, Captain, but I think that you are experiencing a phenomenon not uncommon to collectors, the "dream merchandise" syndrome...! ;-)
Just like the pristine row of Tintin text novels I clearly remember finding on a shelf in my favourite bookshop in Aberdeen, I think that your posters may be no more than a combination of sleep and wishful thinking! I can see them still, and know I held them, but sadly... :-)
I can't rule it out categorically, but as far as I know the only book-cover posters ever to see official release have been the French ones.
It's possible that the shop printed something up themselves (naughty naughty!), or that there was some promotional material made at some point (perhaps Little Brown wanted to publicize the American editions), but as far as official merchandise goes, the French posters are it, certainly at this current moment!
Cartoffoli
#3 · Posted: 11 Nov 2015 00:56
I'm in exactly the same boat.

It's time to decorate my six-month-old son's nursery and am struggling to find anything without French writing.

Look, Hergé was Belgian. We get it. But there are thousands of English speakers who'd love nothing more than to keep this flame alive by passing on a passion they met in early childhood.

I don't have anything against my son learning French one day, but let's get English nailed first, eh?

I'm wonder whether reticence to produce English language posters actually stems from some nationalistic desire by Belgians to keep ownership of Tintin for themselves?

Anyway, I suppose my alternative is to buy/ commission a giant poster / mural. Any ideas, anyone?
snowybella
#4 · Posted: 24 Apr 2017 02:35
Why not buy lots of Tintin postcards, frame them and hang them on the wall? They do have them in English now.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!