Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Golden Fleece: BBC May Bank Holiday screening 2013

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Rocky
#11 · Posted: 4 May 2013 18:38
Just because it's on BBC2HD you can't assume it's in HD! According to schedules I've checked, Monday's broadcast on BBC2HD is NOT in HD, unfortunately.
See the Radio Times listing linked below. In the cerise tab the listing would have the letters HD, but this movie only has 'SUB WIDE'.

Radio Times Tintin

Compare this to an HD broadcast, which additionally has HD in the cerise tab:

Radio Times Snooker

Having said that, I've compared BBC2 and BBC2HD for picture quality of SD films and found BBC2HD to be slightly better.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#12 · Posted: 4 May 2013 23:15
jock123:
It was actually the Blu-Ray itself about which I was musing, as it appears to have been letterboxed to “Cinemascope”, without saying what ratio was used

IMDb gives the original aspect ratio as 2.35:1, which corresponds with the Cinemascope mentioned in the Amazon.fr listing. I'm not sure where that leaves the BFI DVD version - is one cropped from the other, or are they both different cropped formats from the original 35mm negative?

Did the version shown by the BFI a few years have an English language title-screen? I was wondering whether one exists from the original TV screening, as the DVD used the original French.
Rocky
#13 · Posted: 6 May 2013 17:00
Richard:
Did the version shown by the BFI a few years have an English language title-screen?

I'm fairly sure the print shown at the NFT had English titles and closing credits, but the latter lacked the Herge illustrations. Perhaps that may be why the original closing credits sequence was substituted on the DVD and new broadcast copy. It's a nicer sequence.
The Poet Zloty
#14 · Posted: 7 May 2013 10:51
What a splendid treat to see it on TV once again 35 years later! Still great Bank Holiday viewing.

I was one of the organizers of the BFI screening. So I can confirm that the print we screened at the NFT years back - probably the only English language print in existence - did indeed have English language titles - you'll recall that it was named simply THE GOLDEN TREASURE.

So the visuals for yesterday's screening must have been derived from the French master; but they were synced with sound taken from the BFI's BBC copy.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 7 May 2013 20:22
The Poet Zloty:
I was one of the organizers of the BFI screening.

You are being too modest, Vic - I doubt we would have enjoyed the English-language track yesterday, had you not recognized the importance of the BBC print and intervened!
george
#16 · Posted: 25 Jul 2015 16:20
And here it comes again, no 35 year gap this time! (Mumble mumble, TV is all repeats now... In my day... mutter mutter! ;-) )

George
number1fan
#17 · Posted: 10 Aug 2015 22:30
This showing was even on BBC iPlayer.
I waited a long time to see this, thankfully I was able to view the BFI DVDs...
Does anyone know if it gets a lot of repeats in other countries?
Rocky
#18 · Posted: 21 Dec 2015 13:22
And again! BBC2, 22 December 2015, 9:20am

Did anyone here go to the recent screening at Somerset House on 28 November?
number1fan
#19 · Posted: 3 Jan 2016 12:56
It's fantastic that this film is having a resurgence.
It has been shown more regularly in recent years, after an astonishing 35 year absence from British screens before 2013.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!