Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Seven Crystal Balls: What happened to Rascar Capac?

liempatricia
#1 · Posted: 3 Aug 2013 15:59
Hi everyone!
This topic just suddenly struck my mind after I re-read "Seven Crystal Balls" and "Prisoners of the Sun".
Anyone ever wondered what happened to Rascar Capar after the end of the story??
Did he just dissapear, was he sent to a museum (which I mostly doubt, 'cause I always imagine he'll be like Tintin version of Robert the doll!), or returned to his original place, where all the 7 professors, literally having learned their lesson, will never bother him again...?
Or...?
Or...?
Or...?

What do you guys think?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 3 Aug 2013 16:29
liempatricia:
Anyone ever wondered what happened to Rascar Capar after the end of the story??

He was destroyed by the lightning. Pulverized!
rodney
#3 · Posted: 5 Aug 2013 00:54
My guess is that the curse was lifted from the 7 professors meaning he had no need to bother them again - they were freed from the ordeal.

Regarding Rascar, he's still around 'in spirit' and could probably be called upon by the Inca's if ever needed down the track.

His actual remains may well have been destroyed by the lighting or perhaps this was an act by Rascar/Incas to move his remains from the glass cabinet to another place where required.
Rascar, being a fantasy being, may be able to remove and transport his remains from place to place - who knows?

Herge having introduce this exciting plot element saw no need to elaborate here as Rascar did his part in setting up the gripping mood for the story - his work was done without needing to expand on this..
advnarayan
#4 · Posted: 5 Aug 2013 16:08
I think he is out there somewhere...and possibly might be a member of tintinologist.org :) :) :)
tuhatkauno
#5 · Posted: 6 Aug 2013 19:37
I reckon he's travelling around Europe and playing a pan flute in one of those peruvian street bands.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 21 Aug 2013 23:05
tuhatkauno:
I reckon he's travelling around Europe and playing a pan flute

Seems the most logical solution so far... I certainly think I've seen him, now you mention it... ;-)

Actually Mikael is absolutely right, and we have Tintin's word for this!
In a strip, appearing only in the newspaper version on the 7th of July 1944, following a break in publication brought about by the war, Tintin sought to remind readers of the story so far by narrating the events up to the point the story broke off.
One of the points he makes is that "...au cours d'un violent orage, la foudre detruit la momie du Roi Rascar Capac, ne laissant intacts que ses bijoux..." ("...during a violent thunderstorm, lightning destroyed the mummy of King Rascar Capac, leaving nothing intact but his jewelry...").

This strip can now be found in the preface to Le Mystères des 7 Boules de Cristal, the recent collection of the black and white newspaper strips, edited and annotated by Philippe Goddin.

One must remember that the figure we see creeping about, looking in the window and throwing the crystal ball, is naught but a figment of Tintin's imagination, conjured up in a dream during the storm which eventually wakes him when the window blows open. It isn't the mummy walking.

On reflection, it is surprising that Rascar Capac hardly features in the book at all, given the long shadow he casts over its events: his mummy actually appears in a mere three frames, with a further five given over to Tintin's imaginary phantasm (and he's hardly in one of those - barely peeping over the sill of the bedroom window).
Mikael Uhlin
#7 · Posted: 22 Aug 2013 16:06
jock123:
Actually Mikael is absolutely right, and we have Tintin's word for this!

True, but you just have to check the album (page 31) to see how the mummy is hit by the lightning and thus destroyed.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 22 Aug 2013 16:54
Mikael Uhlin:
you just have to check the album (page 31) to see how the mummy is hit by the lightning

Indeed, that's true - however, just as the police look for corroboration to construct a solid case, so too must we Tintinolgists, thus it's good to get the testimony of an eye-witness to the event... ;-)
Mikael Uhlin
#9 · Posted: 22 Aug 2013 19:39
jock123:
Mikael Uhlin:
you just have to check the album (page 31) to see how the mummy is hit by the lightning

Indeed, that's true - however, just as the police look for corroboration to construct a solid case, so too must we Tintinolgists, thus it's good to get the testimony of an eye-witness to the event... ;-)

Ha ha, that's great! :-)
pooya13843
#10 · Posted: 6 Jan 2016 12:42
Dear All,

Rascar Capac is destroyed by a lightning and his jewel is stolen by Chiquito (General Alcazar's friend).

Then on that night when Tintin saw a nightmare that Rascar Capac is holding a crystal ball: that was not Rascar Capac that was Chiquito.

Chiquito did not throw the crystal ball, Tintin was cursed by him to see that nightmare.

Then Chiquito throws the crystal ball at Professor Taragon, steals Rascar Capac's jewels, and then manages to escape by the chimney.

Then he hides in a tree and when Calculus puts the jewel on he attacks Calculus and he kidnaps him.
This is the true story that Hergé made.

But the people who think: "Rascar Capac is the main antagonist in The Seven Crystal Balls and he is the one doing these" they are stupid!

The main antagonist is in The Seven Crystal Balls is Ciquito (General Alcazar's friend) because he is the one doing these and Chiquito (General Alcazar's friend) is stupid because he thinks Sanders-Hardiman Expedition is doing a sacrilege.

Also the main antagonist in The Prisoners of the Sun is the noble prince of the sun because he is stupid like Chiquito (General Alcazar's friend).

I hope you got your mystery.

Sincerely,
Seyed Mohammad Pooya Sadjadi

Moderator Note: While we welcome your enthusiasm and it's good to have your point of view, please don't start calling other people stupid who might hold a different opinion, especially on your first post; we like to keep things on a civil level, so try and avoid any name calling - thanks!

The Tintinologist Team

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!