Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Travel Advice: Are the CBBD and Brussels Tintin Shop worth visiting?

camperdown9
#1 · Posted: 24 Feb 2016 12:54
Hi

I live in London and I can walk to the Tintin shop in Covent Garden, which is great.

However I was thinking I might go to Brussels for a day, and the last time I was there was about 10 years ago.

Has anyone here recently been to the cartoon museum or the Tintin shop?

Is the Tintin shop in Brussels worth visiting?

Thanks

Alex
jock123
#2 · Posted: 27 Feb 2016 18:41
Yes, of course! The CBBD comic museum is always worth a look, often has fascinating exhibitions over and above the regular collection, and there is a great book-shop attached if you fancy improving your French or Flemish!
The Tintin Shop is convenient for the main square, and not far from the Tintin wall mural, so you can easily get tick off a few sights in quick succession.
The square also has the tourist office, where you can buy a Tintin-themed map covering places to visit during your stay; it also used to sell (and may still do) a really good guide book to all the murals on the comic trail (it comes in two or three different version of languages, so be sure to get one that you will be able to read!).
illustration inc
#3 · Posted: 5 Mar 2016 07:36
I have free Eurostar tickets after a terrible journey last Summer and my girlfriend and I are going back to the Herge museum. I've never been into Brussels before so I'm very excited to hear of the comic trail, Tintin wall murals and a Tintin themed map!
prairiegrass
#4 · Posted: 19 Mar 2016 12:53
There are so many Herge-based sights in Brussels. I put together a google map and saw everything from his birth place to school and earliest art. Spend some time planning and researching and you will be able to follow Herge footsteps with ease!
prairiegrass
#5 · Posted: 19 Mar 2016 13:05
FWIW I'd be happy to share my map with anyone. I've got a lot of Herge sites from his grave to favorite pubs. Just contact me and let me know.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 21 Mar 2016 17:08
That sounds very useful - please feel free to post a link if that's feasible!
prairiegrass
#7 · Posted: 22 Mar 2016 12:30
jock123
Cool. It took me a bit to work out how to open it up to viewing by all but here it is (hopefully):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zlnhFpocmxLA.kEch4dHnROYY

It's a mix of the things I love about Brussels so isn't only Herge but includes food, royalty and a few other things. There's a few pieces unique to my trip (the cool hotel I stayed in) but i've left it intact as i think it serves as an interesting travelogue of sorts. After visiting Brussels the first time I fell in love with the place; this map represents my second visit. A third is being planned!

In light of today's events in the city I want to encourage people to continue to visit. It's such an amazing city and there's such wonderful history and people.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!