Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix: Volume 36 title announced

advnarayan
#1 · Posted: 31 Mar 2015 14:08
The new Asterix title was announced at the Bologna Book Fair earlier today - Asterix and the Missing Scroll.
It will be released on 22nd October 2015.
mct16
#2 · Posted: 6 Apr 2015 13:53
An image connected to the new album has been released. See it at actuabd.com.

The French title is "Le Papyrus de César" ("Caesar's Papyrus"). Could this be a hint that the Gauls will return to Egypt?

This page features video interviews with Uderzo and Goscinny's daughter, Anne, as well as with writer Ferri and artist Conrad. They are in French but with English sub-titles! (could have done without the background music though.)
advnarayan
#3 · Posted: 13 Oct 2015 11:33
The cover of the new Asterix has been revealed!
Here it is, with a brief write-up on what we can expect.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 24 Apr 2016 23:03
I have just read "Asterix and the Secret Scroll", which I borrowed from the library and I am glad that I did not waste my money on.

The book raises some interesting issues of the freedom of the press and the exposure of the truth but using Julian Assange (aka "Confoundtheirpolitix") as the central figure is, to my mind, a minus. Maybe it's my politics (which are about half-way between Barack Obama and Donald Trump), but for me, Assange is hardly hero material - not when you hide out in an embassy in order to avoid the due process of law for sexual assault.

Also, I did not like the scenes in the forest of the Carnutes with its tame squirrels and unicorns which were hardly present in "Asterix and the Goths", nor the convenient way in which Asterix and Getafix rush back from there to the village in time to deal with the Romans in the final pages.

I did enjoy the scenes of Geriatrix out for new conquests and getting jealous reproaches from his much younger wife (shades of Hugh Hefner there I think ;)

But the fact remains that Goscinny's genius is lacking. There are times when Herge's example to end the series when he ended it should be the rule.

2.5 out of 5 stars, I'd say.
FormulaFourteen
#5 · Posted: 27 Apr 2016 09:47
mct16:
But the fact remains that Goscinny's genius is lacking.

You know, I know the famous quote by Hergé about no-one else being able to breath life into his characters, but I only just started to really look towards the possibility of a 'new' Tintin album in earnest.

I'm probably opening myself up for ridicule here, but about a year ago my wife somehow tricked me into watching "Gilmore Girls" on Netflix, and I've got to say I was really impressed. (Sucked in could also be an apt term for it!)

The 7th season actually wasn't done by the same team that both created and wrote the entire show, Amy Sherman-Palladino and her husband, Daniel Palladino. Due to a political screw up (my term for it) they ended up being let go, and a new team was brought in to continue the show. Long story short, the 7th season was so bad it killed the series.

I've resisted watching it up until now. And now that I am, I'm amazed at how hollow someone can really sound when the 'right' person's not creating their story. The secondary characters are all right, like Kirk, lane, etc... But the primary characters just ring hollow.

I've finally decided it's because the new writers approached the series based on the actions of the characters rather than who those characters actually 'are.' The writer's no longer had the 'real' insight into how the principles would act, think, be, do... And it really shows.

All of a sudden the very thought of Tintin being put back into publication--- in any form: novel, play, another graphic novel--- gives me cold sweats.

Maybe I'm overreacting...

P.S. - Sorry... This is a bit off-topic, I'll fully admit!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!