Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Would Tintin make a good boyfriend?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

FormulaFourteen
#1 · Posted: 2 Feb 2014 10:41
I searched this topic and couldn't find anything, so sorry if I missed it somewhere!

I've noticed that many of the ladies here at Tintinologist have made it clear that they would love to have Tintin as their boyfriend!? Or at least that he is very dreamy and/or attractive.

Now, I could understand the "attractive" part - He is rather dashing, charismatic, adventurous, upstanding, and courteous; he certainly has style and a fair abundance of good looks (smashing quiff); and for all of these rough-and-tumble characteristics still has a marked suavity and poise in polite company.

But I don't really see how he would make a good companion in a romantic relationship... He forever be coming and going on long, remote, and dangerous trips... Plus he seems to show no interest in the female sex in any amorous way at all in Herge's canon of stories... (I'm not trying to make any insinuations about his sexual orientation here, by the way...)

It seems to me that if Tintin were ever in a serious relationship, it would either suffer at the hands of his adventurous lifestyle, or his adventurous lifestyle would suffer because of the relationship... If the latter, then would he still be the same old Tintin that first attracted a companion, or would the ties and responsibilities of a relationship (conflicting with his lifestyle) fundamentally change his character to something other than what his companion had originally found attractive in him?

Way too long sentences there! Sorry!

Any thoughts?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 2 Feb 2014 11:58
If the girl had the same adventurous personality as him then why not?
jock123
#3 · Posted: 2 Feb 2014 21:03
FormulaFourteen:
I searched this topic and couldn't find anything, so sorry if I missed it somewhere!

We had a thread in the past, but it had to be shut down, as it failed to develop beyond a series of gushing outpourings into anything constructive.

If we are to allow it again, it will have to remain very much in the manner of FormulaFourteen's initial post here: you can discuss pros and cons of Tintin being in a relationship as that might relate to the books, or as to whether it is compatible with the character as shown in the books.

It must not descend into whether or not you would want Tintin as your boy-friend, how you would react to being Tintin's partner, or postulating other stories in which Tintin might become someone's boy-friend.

Should that happen, the Moderators may step in and shut the thread again.
FormulaFourteen
#4 · Posted: 2 Feb 2014 23:40
jock123
Wow! Sorry if I've inadvertently reintroduced a controversial topic!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 3 Feb 2014 09:44
FormulaFourteen:
Sorry if I've inadvertently reintroduced a controversial topic!

Don't worry - any topic can become controversial, if people put their minds to it...! ;-) [Not an invitation, by the way folks...!]

We try to be as open as we can about what can be discussed, but (beyond the usual bounds of taste, decency and legality on a family-friendly site) we ask that discussions are constructive, and develop the body of work which is Tintinology; if they don't add to that, we have to consider them a dead end...

Let's see how this one goes this time, eh?:-)
BelgicatheBrave
#6 · Posted: 21 Mar 2016 22:51
I think that eventually, Tintin would make a good romantic partner for someone. He's kind, polite, courteous, intelligent, and charming, so it's no surprise that he'd attract someone. But it would have to be the right girl. She would have to understand about his career, his traveling, and the fact that he has a lot of really powerful and dangerous enemies. I imagine Tintin would have to have a discussion with her letting her know that by being with him, she would put her life in danger, too. She'd have to be able to put up with all the other colorful characters in Tintin's life and like dogs. I like to imagine that he'd end up with a nurse from a field hospital somewhere who treated him for a gunshot wound and saved his life.
Karaboudjan
#7 · Posted: 19 May 2016 21:50
Perhaps if he met a girl in his line of work? Contrary to popular belief, there were intrepid female reporters about at the time. And yes, if she didn't like Snowy, that would be a deal breaker.

Otherwise, he seems oblivious to that side of things. His reaction to the fake engagement and Calculus romancing Bianca is more stunned surprise than anything else. Then again, the only marriage portrayed in the series is Alcazar and Peggy - hardly a shining endorsement!
jock123
#8 · Posted: 21 May 2016 16:37
Karaboudjan:
the only marriage portrayed in the series is Alcazar and Peggy - hardly a shining endorsement!

Actually, we shouldn't forget the domestic bliss which is the Wagg household, as well as the brief but telling cameo by Mrs Bolt, which suggests she is every bit as devious as her elusive builder husband... ;-) (But of course, neither of those is a perfect advertisement either!)
FormulaFourteen
#9 · Posted: 24 May 2016 23:16
jock123
That's a bit interesting, actually... Just about all of the married characters Hergé created seemed to have a flawed marriage in some way. At the moment I'm drawing a blank trying to picture a positive couple in the canon?
Balthazar
#10 · Posted: 25 May 2016 03:23
FormulaFourteen:
At the moment I'm drawing a blank trying to picture a positive couple in the canon?

How about Mr and Mrs Wang in The Blue Lotus?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!