Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Valuation Wanted: Les aventures de Tintin au pays des soviets

haddock1963
#1 · Posted: 8 Jul 2016 04:00
Hello,

I have a copy of Les aventures de Tintin au pays des soviets that was printed in 1969, number 294, that was signed by Herge with a message on it written to my father's family. From a quick search online it seems that the value of this book can vary quite a bit depending on when it was published and if it was signed and so I was hoping someone on this site with more knowledge of the subject might be able to give me a better idea of what its value might be. The condition is not perfect; there is a tear in the spine as well as a stain on the back cover. I am not looking to sell at this time, just curious as to the book's value.

Love this site, thanks for any/all insight!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 11 Jul 2016 08:06
The 1969 edition was privately produced for Hergé to give to friends, colleagues and business associates etc., marking the 40th anniversary of Tintin. It was the first new edition of the book since Hergé had had it withdrawn, when he felt that it was not up to the standard he wanted; he was not thinking of re-issuing it commercially to the public at that time.

As such it is quite scarce and does command quite high prices.

However, in book collecting, the condition of the copy is everything, and many copies which come to market are pristine, so the ripped spine and stain will have a serious effect on any valuation to be made, I'm afraid.

Looking at some recent auction results, a good copy will go for somewhere between €1,000 and €1,500. I would guess that your copy will be less than the lower of the two estimates.

As ever, these are entirely theoretical: the question is what the buyer will pay on the day, and you might find someone who wants it desperately.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!