Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How popular is Tintin in your country?

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

carmella
#41 · Posted: 5 Jan 2015 03:18
Tintin used to be really famous in Manchuria, China, because we appreciated the depiction of Manchurian Incident in The Blue Lotus. But now, almost no child knows about Tintin. Children today are more attached to Japanese comics, which is sad to know.
cakes200
#42 · Posted: 5 Jan 2015 03:48
After living in some different places I've seen that Tintin is kind of non-existent in the U.S. compared to other countries, but in Japan for example his books can be found in school libraries (in Japanese), and especially after the movie, most people have at least heard of him!
And I know far more girls than boys in Japan who are interested in Tintin (I'm one of them!). We can even find his books in French at a city library. Also, we can find Tintin notebooks, folders etc. at stationery shops.
MT50446
#43 · Posted: 6 May 2015 18:19
So from reading the previous postings the consensus is Tintin is not very popular around the world!
To be honest it's hard to tell I mean it's not as if a poll has been conducted outside libraries and book shops the world over is it.
Also what is popular ,one mans popular another mans ...erm...not very popular.
I would imagine in the Benelux countries he would be very popular BUT it appears no one has posted from these countries on this topic.
Here in the UK I would say it's reasonably popular of its type.
Though apart from visiting the Tintin shop in Covent Garden, I haven't come across any fans in my daily life.
I don't think Tintin is as read by children today as it was when I grew up in the 60s/70s.
MyDearWatson
#44 · Posted: 24 Aug 2016 20:57
I come from India, and Tintin is extremely popular out there, especially in West Bengal, where I hail from. I've never met any Bengali who doesn't at least know Tintin.
OptimisticTimelord26
#45 · Posted: 10 Sep 2016 00:36
I basically am saying the same thing as everyone else that is from the US. I've met a few kids at CTY who've heard of it (mainly because of the 2011 movie), and maybe one or three people who've actually read the comics. However, I haven't met anyone who obsesses over them as much as me. Sigh.
iluvtintin
#46 · Posted: 12 Sep 2016 11:26
OptimisticTimelord26:
I haven't met anyone who obsesses over them as much as me.

I have the same problem.

I live in the United States, and I really think I'm one of the few people who knows about Tintin.
Tintin needs more love in the US. The movie kind of did it, but we need to put him more out there.
Richard1631978
#47 · Posted: 12 Sep 2016 20:08
I was watching Ted last night on DVD & noticed Mark Wahlberg was reading Destination Moon at one point.
Buttons4me
#48 · Posted: 12 Sep 2016 20:21
Everyone knows Tintin here in Ireland, but hardly anyone talks about him anymore Lol!

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!