Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Calculus Affair: Unused plastic "broken window" cover design...?

rodney
#1 · Posted: 13 Jun 2011 00:27
Hi!
I remember reading somewhere - I think it was in Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin? – that Hergé originally wanted the design of The Calculus Affair to feature real glass fragments embedded in the cover?
It would have appeared around the yellow "glass" drawing that's on the cover presently, but the idea was dismissed by Casterman, due to its high cost.

Is there any credible truth to this statement? It's the first I had ever heard of such a thing.

It seems to me that Hergé may not have been entirely serious when he came up with such a suggestion.
Maybe he was trying to see just how far he could go with publishing demands?

Anyone else have any input on this?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#2 · Posted: 14 Jun 2011 21:16
I had the impression that, rather than "glass fragments", it was to be a plastic cover, that either was to have the shape of the shattered pane of glass printed on it, or cut out of it, which was then wrapped around the book, or attached to the front.
It would have proved too costly, so Hergé drew it instead.
It would be nice to see something similar in a future edition, although I suspect that's wishful thinking. A gloss spot varnish on a matte cover would be perfectly possible, though!
robbo
#3 · Posted: 15 Jun 2011 23:38
I found reference to this in volume 6 of Hergé - Chronologie d'une œvre.

Writing to his editor (my rough translation):
Hergé:
Here is an idea which I submit for your consideration and ultimately for your technical advice. It amounts to a cut out in a plastic mica type material placed over the drawing itself; in other words a transparent relief giving the illusion of glass.
Given that this would be feasable the effect of such a cover would be pretty stunning don't you think?

mat
jock123
#4 · Posted: 12 Sep 2016 21:53
23 May 2023 16:24 - Merged topic:
Calculus Affair: Deluxe "L'Affaire Tournesol" for November from Casterman?

A picture of what appears to be a page from a Casterman catalogue has emerged online, which suggests that there is a very special memento in preparation to mark the 60th anniversary of its publication.

Amongst the ideas for the album suggested by Hergé at the time the book was being designed, was that it would feature a unique custom cover, in the form of a perspex sheet, made to look like a shattered window.

Unfortunately there was no way at the time to realize the dream, and the idea was shelved - until now, it would seem!

It appears that there will now be a special, limited edition, of the book produced for release in November, which will bring Hergé's concept to final fruition, with a special, "broken", plexi-glass cover.

A classic period cloth spine will give the book the look of what might have been done in 1956, and, in a limited run of 7,777 copies it also pays hommage to the Tintin magazine ("the paper for the young from 7-77 years of age"), which is celebrating its 70th anniversary this year.

There still has to be confirmation from the publisher that this book will be released, but it's an intriguing possibility, and the chances look good* that this will happen.

Further details as soon as possible!

(* Famous last words... Nothing happened!)
prairiegrass
#5 · Posted: 23 Sep 2016 08:43
jock123
Not sure if it's ok to link to the tweet for this, but here it is: https://twitter.com/PatriceYGuerin/status/774963272340631552
Cool.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 28 Oct 2016 15:51
It looks like this has either been delayed, or, as was possibly the case from the start, may be in the schedule for November 2017 (the catalogue that this was extracted from might be one for next year).

More details when I get them!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!