Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Belvision: Sequence of release of series?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 15 Sep 2006 11:56
I think there were at least three semi-animated films made by Belvision prior to the Larry Harmon produced ones. The first two were made in collaboration with Anne-Marie Ullmann of RTF, the French televsion station (see also our Tintin on Screen guide). The three I know of are (dates approximate):

L'Oreille Cassée (The Broken Ear) c.1957-58 - By Karel Van Millegham & Anne-Marie Ullmann.

Le Sceptre d'Ottokar (King Ottokar's Sceptre) c.1958 - By Karel Van Millegham & Anne-Marie Ullmann. This one was also broadcast in English on the BBC in 1959 (I'm not sure about the others).

On a Marché sur la Lune (Destination/Explorers on the Moon) c.1959 - By Yvan Szücs.
jock123
#12 · Posted: 15 Sep 2006 13:33
Harrock n roll
I think there were at least three semi-animated films made by Belvision…

Ah, you touch your marble!
labrador road 26, please be advised that H n H knows more about this than I do, so if anything I said is contradicted, then he’s probably right!
jockosjungle
#13 · Posted: 15 Sep 2006 17:23
I'm guessing C4 at lunchtime as they were often on C4 at lunchtime. I saw the clip of the B&W Belvision cartoon of Tintin, it looked quite good in a limited and low budget sort of way

R
number1fan
#14 · Posted: 18 Jan 2007 22:34
Semi-animated - what does that mean?
Are The Broken Ear and King Ottokar's Sceptre avalibale anywhere, and does anyone think it's worth e-mailing Anchor Bay to ask them to realses the remainder of the Belvision series?
jock123
#15 · Posted: 19 Jan 2007 09:50
number1fan
Semi-animated - what does that mean?

I tried to explain it a couple of posts back, but I'll give it another go...
Semi-animation is a bit like puppetry but where pictures are used; the animation, instead of being done a frame at a time, is created in real time by someone manipulating tabs and other devices to move portions of the scene - maybe a mouth or eyes, or someone walking across a scene. As I said, think of it like a children's pop-up book being worked while someone films the action.

If you have seen the original Captain Pugwash (not the recent CGI version) or Mary Mungo and Midge, they are semi-animated.

are The Broken Ear and King Ottokar's Sceptre avalibale anywhere
No, they haven't been released or reshown any time recently.

does anyone think it's worth e-mailing Anchor Bay to ask them to realses the remainder of the Belvision series.
This is drifting off-topic a bit, but personally I don't think it will have any effect - if they have the inclination, and the right, they'll do it.
JacobLBA
#16 · Posted: 26 Aug 2010 20:52
Muller:
Some one told me Objective Moon was the first Belvision cartoon to be made, is that true? At least it is very different in style.

Objective Moon was more than likely the first Belvision series. At the beginning, Tintin "breaks the fourth wall" (waves at the camera) and says: "Hi! My name is Tintin." And I agree, the animation style is very different from the others. At some points, Tintin actually looks like Tintin!

number1fan:
About 1994 they showed the Red Rackham's Tresure Belvision movie on British TV - does anybody remeber this being on? I know it's a long shot. I can't realy remember as I was only about 5 at the time.

I agree with jock123, your mum must have seen a repeat of the Ellipse-Nelvana episode and mistaken it for the Belvision one. A lot of people who don't know the books that well do the same.

This review from the Amazon Tintin Ellipse-Nelvana DVD boxset is a fine example:
Warning to those in the UK expecting a good trip back to your childhood. This box set of dvds is apparently the watered down US version. They even have different voices for Captain Haddock and the Thompson Twins. There's not much else to say except that I think I wasted my money. If they release one with the UK voices on and the "Herge's adventures of Tintin" intro, I'll be right there buying my copy. Until then, it's farewell Tintin.... I feel you're going to end up in a car boot sale. If I could give it less than one star I would!

Whoever's writing this is very misinformed.

Moderator Note: We now have a very comprehensive list of Belvision broadcasts thanks to a dilligent member keeping records - read it here. Latest known Belvision broadcast of the serial was 1991, so 1994 was probably Ellipse-Nelvana.
belvisionfan
#17 · Posted: 19 Jan 2017 19:55
number1fan
I happen to have about 13 minutes of The Broken Ear show, but the soundtrack is only music and some sound effects. The visual is pretty good, considering, and I heard it is extremely rare.
The titles were in French.

I hope this doesn't break the posting guidelines, but I will describe the intro for it:
There is a Spanish-style house and marketplace as the show fades in. An unfamiliar theme plays as a slightly-stereotyped mariachi-like person walks by in the foreground, wearing a sandwich-board, reading "Les Aventures de Tintin", followed by another man with a similar board reading "Coproduction Belvision R.T.F.(?)". The final man's board says "L'Oreille Casée d'Hergé", which we know as The Broken Ear.
Hope this helps or interests you in any way!
number1fan
#18 · Posted: 21 Jan 2017 10:50
I have also now seen the 13 minutes of footage that exists out there. It's interesting that the episode was just done with music and sound effects.
I like the style of the episode: very simple and easy to understand.
Perhaps one day the full episode will turn up somewhere.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!