Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Who is Endaddine Akass?

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Henri Fourcart
#41 · Posted: 14 Aug 2005 22:08
Omar Ben Salad still seems a likely candidate - nose, build, unseen for so long. Maybe he escaped and crossed the Mediterranean to Ischia and set himself up as a mystic?
Either of the Bird brothers seems a bit of a stretch - there would have to be a lot of plastic surgery involved, what with bone structure in the face etc. Don't forget hair transplants.
Rastapopoulos though seems plausible... again the question of plastic surgery à la the Rodier version. If only Hergé had left us a couple more clues...
snafu
#42 · Posted: 16 Aug 2005 03:13
Perhaps one of the Brothers (one could have died during the interim) put on weight and grew a beard after being arrested for the first time, immediately or eventually followed by a period of depression. People can really change their looks because of a big event.

It'd be hard to imagine Omar Ben Salaad not wearing a burnouse! Given how many of the villains dressed in "The Crab with the Golden Claws", it is not impossible to commit physical and violent criminal acts under a burnouse!
emma_tintin
#43 · Posted: 20 Dec 2011 01:23
kirthiboy
In french, the only character with the initials SS is Stephan Szprinkoth, a border guard in The Calculus Affair, so that doesn't make any sense. And of course, aka is a fundementaly anglophone expression, so there goes that. Good thought though!
GSC
#44 · Posted: 15 Jan 2012 21:22
I don't think Rastapopolus is Endaddine Akass for two reasons: 1. I'm shure that those extra-terrestrial guys would have done something to him before he ever managed to escape. 2. It would be too obvious for him to be Endaddine Akass. He definitely would of picked a villein that hasn't been seen in the sieres for a while. I think it could be Omer Ben Saalad, but we'll never know.
AngelofLight
#45 · Posted: 27 Jan 2012 10:15
Okay, here's something I thought of earlier today: maybe he's Rastapopoulos's brother?

I say this because Tintin says that Akass's voice reminds him of someone, but Akass doesn't seem to have been acquainted with him previously. He looks a little like Rastapopoulos(let's call him RS so my fingers don't hurt so much from typing that each time) , but not completely.

Also, Herge initially planned to have RS as Akass, but then abandoned that idea. Maybe he had the brainwave of introducing his BROTHER instead? RS mentions in Flight 714 that he "ruined his three brothers". Can't you imagine Akass going on about his tragic backstory, his planned revenge on his brother, etc.?

Actually, the more I think about this, the more plausible it seems!
Tintinrulz
#46 · Posted: 27 Jan 2012 10:39
Herge at least intended to use Rastapopoulos as the main villain in Alph-Art, judging by the extra pages at the back of the book. There are notes even referring to him getting plastic surgery to change his appearance.
GSC
#47 · Posted: 28 Aug 2012 19:17
GSC:
I don't think Rastapopolus is Endaddine Akass for two reasons: 1. I'm shure that those extra-terrestrial guys would have done something to him before he ever managed to escape. 2. It would be too obvious for him to be Endaddine Akass. He definitely would of picked a villein that hasn't been seen in the sieres for a while. I think it could be Omer Ben Saalad, but we'll never know

I now take back what I said here. I have just got Tintin and Alph-Art by Yves Rolder on disk (leagly), and after reading it, I now think that Rastapopolus would be Herge's number one prioraty to be Endaddine Akass. Herge could have given an explanashion just like Rolder did.

Moderator Note: Just to clarify things, there is no such thing as a “legal” copy of Rodier’s version of Alph-Art: however you got it (and we don’t want to know how) it is still unauthorized and a bootleg.

The Tintinologist Team
dhrishtadyumna
#48 · Posted: 31 Jan 2017 07:52
Ok guys, I know its an old thread but I had to say this, what if Endaddine Akass was just the Fakir who had put on some weight (well, a lot actually)? That would explain his hypnotic powers.
RicardoOlcese
#49 · Posted: 9 Jan 2019 19:36
Endaddine Akass is definitely Omar ben Salaad (from The Crab with the Golden Claws). Same facial features. Arabic name. A-K-A-S-S = Also Known AS Salaad. There's no question about it. My info comes directly from the ZEP. Amaïh!
jock123
#50 · Posted: 9 May 2023 22:22
kirthiboy:
Maybe the name itself should give a clue. Like Akass is formed of aka ss (aka: also known as)

It's been a long time in coming, but as yet another post I have come across in doing some forum house-keeping raises a point that can be usefully answered, it's got to be said that this was not the route Hergé was taking with the name Endaddine Akass...
Referring once again to the invaluable book, Tintin: Ketje de Bruxelles, by Daniel Justens abd Alain Préaux, they trace the name to being yet another example of Hergé hiding Brussels slang in his naming of people and places.
The expression "en dat in uw kas"/ "en dat in a kas" (literally meaning something like: "...and that's in your face!") appears to convey the same sense as "...and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!" in English, in that it is a phrase used to try and close down an argument by the speaker asserting that what they are saying is true, no matter what the other person thinks.
So it's probably best to take it as a joke name, in a grand tradition that Hergé began in Soviets, rather than a sophisticated clue to identity.
I must also add that I was fairly sure that there is actually a reference somewhere in the same book, where Justens & Préaux point to Hergé having flirted with using the same punning name for someone else in another book, which would further suggest that it is less likely to be some sort of code, and just Hergé using a gag that he'd had in mind for some time - but sadly I haven't been able to find it again, so I may be mis-remembering. If I do come across it, I will update!

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!