Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Changes/cut scenes in Tintin: Is there a list somewhere of them all? [Locked]

Jon God
#1 · Posted: 1 May 2016 04:25
I know there a are a number of scenes that weren't in the final books, that were cut due to page count, or flow, but I was wondering if there is a list somewhere with all the instances of them? I've tried a few combinations of Tintin history books from the library, but there's a bit over overlap, and I've heard about scenes I've not yet seen. I know for example Temple of the Sun and the Moon books had a decent amount of cut content, but I'd love to know overall what scenes were cut.
belvisionfan
#2 · Posted: 8 Feb 2017 00:13
Jon God
I know there was
- An extra page that was unused in Tintin and the Picaros
-Several panels unused in Seven Crystal balls, once where Madame Yamila is able to guess Haddock is a drinker, and again back at Marlinspike
-2 pages were changed from the original Land of Black Gold (17-18) due to racism and mockery toward Jewish people
-The Moon stories, as you noted, have several missing parts in the books that were in the original panel publications.
That's all I can help you with now
Sorry, and good luck!
jock123
#3 · Posted: 8 Feb 2017 14:12
Right - better nip this in the bud!

Sorry to have to do this - I'm not sure how this thread got past the usual checks, as it usually would have been stopped when first posted (but we are only human after all) - but I'm going to close this right here and now.

The fact is that experience shows that threads really need to be kept focused on one main issue, or they quickly become unmanageable, I am afraid.

While you might think that listing changes and cut scenes is a single topic, there are just too many of them to make a success of it, because it will become impossible to navigate or discuss things in any meaningful way.

They each need to be handled on a case-by-case basis: even the short list above would be open to debate, as "Land of Black Gold" has several completely different states of completeness, rather than just two pages changed for the reasons given. The only way to deal with such things is individually.

As m'learned friend mct16 put it in an e-mail just now, about this very point:
belvisionfan:
-2 pages were changed from the original Land of Black Gold (17-18) due to racism and mockery toward Jewish people

"Actually, I believe that those pages were removed because they set the action in the British Mandate of Palestine in the late 1930s. By the time "Black Gold" was to be published in English in 1971 it had become the state of Israel and was thus considered out-of-date, so Herge redrew the scenes in order to set it in the fictional state of Khemed. The scenes do not strike me as particularly mocking or racist, just describing the conflict between Jews, British and Arabs which reflected events at the time - with humour provided with a case of mistaken identity which could happen to anyone.

This comment would be more appropriate for when "Shooting Star" was published as a daily strip in "Le Soir". It featured a controversial scene between two Jews during Philippulus the Prophet's harassment of Tintin and, to the best of my knowledge, has never been included in any book publications."

A forum search will bring up lots of examples, or look through all the posts for one book and see what you come across.

There are also so many discussions already in existence on the forums about such things, that there would be a lot of duplication involved if they just were to be repeated here.

This topic is closed.