Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Does Tintin curse too?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

lulucutie47
#21 · Posted: 4 Sep 2012 00:03
When reading Flight 714, Tintin goes into the volcano to save Calculus, and that weird German guy (who has the telepathic powers), talks to him and tells him to come out of the volcano.

The Captain asks if Tintin replied and the German guy says this: “He is tellink me to go to... Oh!... and what a polite boy he is, I am thinkink.”

Is Tintin try ing to say (in a nice way, of course), go to 'heck'? Or something else? Does anyone have a clue what he could have been saying?

Moderator Note: This has come up before, so your post has been moved to this thread. Have a look at the rest of this thread, especially laloga’s post above, which does in indeed show that Tintin’s response was what you thought.
As a small aside, please use upper- and lower-case letters when posting, as asked in the Forum rules: it makes what you have to say much easier to read! Your message has been edited accordingly!

The Tintinologist Team
Captain Chester
#22 · Posted: 4 Sep 2012 08:27
I'm pretty sure "Go to hell" is the implication. I was surprised and delighted when I first read that; Tintin's departure from his normally respectful demeanor illustrated his loyalty very nicely.
gorfdota
#23 · Posted: 5 Nov 2013 12:15
Maybe Tintin was changing with the time by the late 1960s, when Flight 714 came out. Plus he was just a little older, so he could swear a bit now. Also, having been rubbing shoulders with the Captain for so long, it only follows that he'd have picked up something from his friend's way of speaking.
mct16
#24 · Posted: 5 Nov 2013 16:19
Just for the record, in the original French version of "Flight 714", Kanrokitoff tells Haddock that Tintin told him to "Aller au diable!", which is the French version of "Go to Hell".

English translators tend to be more sensitive when it comes to these matters. :)
snowybella
#25 · Posted: 19 Mar 2017 02:53
In Soviets, page 34, frame 3, he calls Vlipvlop a "Bandit!" and a "Traitor!".
jock123
#26 · Posted: 19 Mar 2017 13:04
Calling someone a traitor and bandit may not be "cursing" if that is what they actually are; in this situation it's probably like shouting "Thief!" at someone who has stolen something.
number1fan
#27 · Posted: 23 Mar 2017 10:34
Great Snakes is deemed a curse word in my house!.
snowybella
#28 · Posted: 20 Apr 2017 02:09
I just remembered: in Calculus Affair, he says something like "Be careful! Those two ostrogoths have certainly tipped off their secret police. We must be on our guard." to Captain Haddock.
Prof Schwarzschild Calculus
#29 · Posted: 9 Mar 2018 20:47
From the Yves Rodier version of Alph-Art :
After revealing himself to be Akass, Rastapopoulos says something like, "Farewell,Tintin. Where will I find an adversary as worthy of me as you?", to which Tintin replies,"I could tell you, but I would rather be polite!".

Moderator note: The point is interesting, but as it's an unofficial work, it can't really be held up as an example affecting this discussion! In such situations, anyone could write anything about Tintin, but it wouldn't change what we know about the character that comes to us from Hergé himself.

The Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!