Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin actually in America

tybaltstone
#1 · Posted: 5 Apr 2004 11:34
While dealing with some completely off-topic business (to do with my Anglo-Afghan War 1880 project) I visited a website on British regiments for a bit of research. I thought I recognised the name of the site's creator, T. F. Mills, and then realised he was mentioned in my bibliography for the Black Island piece, as the author of an article I referenced from the Comics Journal written in 1983.

...Anyway! He has an interesting bit on the internet about Tintin being published in the States. Apologies if you're all aware of it already, as I know it's not new, but it's good!

Best -
Garen.

Moderator Update:
The link to the article had broken, but it has been possible to replace it with a new link to an archived version of the article.
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 04:40
That was the first Tintin site I experienced! Way back in 1996, the first time I went on the Internet (at our local library). I remember it as a very good and interesting Tintin site. I also remember the library computers I viewed it on had 28k modems, so the Internet was extremly slow!

Sorry I went off topic.
tybaltstone
#3 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 08:53
After reading it again (after posting the URL) I think it was also one of the first Tintin pages I saw - also in about 1996. I went to visit my father, who lives in Los Angeles ... and he had internet! One of the first things I searched for was Tintin, and found that article and a marvellous site called The Cult of Tintin.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 10:41
As we're way off topic now, I thought I'd mention that I'm in the process of writing an article about the Golden Press editions, which includes interviews with the translators of the books. I'm sure many of you will find it interesting; watch this space in a couple of weeks!
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 11:32
Hi Chris,

Looking forward to your article!
Tybaltstone, the Cult of Tintin was the second or third Tintin site I found on the web. At that time www.tintin.com was some Japanese site! I can't read Japanese so I don't even know if it was about Herge's Tintin.
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 12:20
Harrock - the article sounds very interesting, looking forward to it. I think the English language versions in the UK were very lucky to have two excellent translators in Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper and Michael Turner, who got on very well with Hergé and seemed to be perfectly in line with his vision. Will you be making any comparisons between the US and UK editions (just to sway vaguely back in the direction of the topic!)?

Leaping off the topic again, when I visited the Cult of Tintin in '96 I printed some of it out to bring back to England with me (I didn't get the internet myself until the following year), and though I don't have the print-outs anymore I did recently discover print-outs for the other thing I looked up - articles on Edgar P. Jacobs - all in French, but I kept them in the back of the books I had.

Well, that was Garen in America, not Tintin.

Waffling on... I also recently re-discovered a one-page comic strip I did for a little publication called 'Graphic Reviews' where I was asked to review Tintin in America in a one-page comic strip. The art's not great, but I may send it to you, Irene, just as a curiosity - and you can include it on the site or not at your pleasure.

Must go and do some work now!

Apologies for the waffling...
-Garen.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 14:01
I only have two of Golden Press Tintin books - Unicorn and Rackham - so I won't be able to draw too many comparisons! Actually, the translations (to those 2 books anyway) aren't half as bad as you might think. I think that they took a more literal approach. The translators did not have any contact with Hergé, so therefore no artistic license was taken with them, as in the Turner/Lonsdale-Cooper translations.
One interesting visual difference though; it's nice to see a Union Jack flying over the Unicorn! I won't give anything else away - you'll just have to wait til I finish it!

Chris
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#8 · Posted: 6 Apr 2004 21:35
Good to hear you're getting on well with the article Chris, we're all really looking forward to it.

Ed

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!