Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Weather: Does it rain in the stories?

sponsz
#1 · Posted: 16 Aug 2006 16:53
Does it rains often in Tintin adventures?
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 16 Aug 2006 22:19
That's an interesting question, sponsz. Why do you ask?
One springs to mind immediately. I'm re-reading again and have started on The Calculus Affair. There's at least two instances of rain in that. The Seven Crystal Balls, Tintin in Tibet, The Land Of Black Gold are all adventures I've read recently that had rain in them.

BTW, first post for a few months. Just catching up!

--
Moderator note: Welcome back, Ranko: it's good to see you again!
labrador road 26
#3 · Posted: 17 Aug 2006 07:23
Some other adventures which have rain in them are:
Blue Lotus - when Tintin arrives in Shanghai it rains briefly. It again pours just after Tintin hid from the armored car coming back. When he leaves the movie it rains again. Maybe there was a heavy rain to make the river overflow, it is not seen anyway. When Tintin is freed of the accusations with help from Chang it rains again.

Broken ear - when Tintin gets help from lightning escaping the two crooks.

Ottokar's sceptre - a brief rain, just enough for Milou to get a snack.

Shooting star - just after the crew of scientists gets seasick.

Flight 714 - inside the crater it rains if you could call it rain.

I would say that the rain in Tintin is about average compared to the real world. Of course is rain not the only source of getting the characters wet, which happens quite frequently.
Levent
#4 · Posted: 17 Aug 2006 08:49
It does not often, but no snow except Tintin in Tibet and Tintin in Soviet stories.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 17 Aug 2006 13:25
It also rains in The Secret of the Unicorn, whilst Tintin waits to use the 'phone box.
snowybella
#6 · Posted: 27 Mar 2017 14:47
labrador road 26:
Flight 714 - inside the crater it rains if you could call it rain.

Wasn't that ash? I don't have it here right now, so I'm not sure.

Calculus Affair: Rains before they try to hitch-hike.

Also, a picture on a Tintin calender showed Tintin and Snowy in strong winds and rain. Thomson and Thompson was there too, trying to catch their hats. I think there also was another scene when it was raining and was windy. Calculus was in the background, with his umbrella broken.

A picture on one of the original colouring books showed Tintin painting a picture in the rain, while Captain Haddock and Snowy looked really grumpy.

Grand Total: 12
jock123
#7 · Posted: 28 Mar 2017 17:57
snowybella:
Wasn't that ash? I don't have it here right now, so I'm not sure.

Tintin refers to what's going on as "ash and water vapour"; however, it's drawn like rain, and it does in fact often rain when a volcano erupts, as ash particles attract water droplets from the atmosphere. This can in itself be deadly, as it forms a sort of cement, which in addition to enveloping victims, can bring down buildings if it accumulates on the roofs, because of the weight.

Ranko mentions two outbreaks of rain in The Calculus Affair in his post above - is yours an additional one, a correction that there is only one shower, or just a repeat of one of these?
snowybella
#8 · Posted: 30 Mar 2017 00:43
jock123:
a correction that there is only one shower, or just a repeat of one of these?

Sorry jock123, I completely forgot about the rain at the first few pages.

snowybella:
Also, a picture on a Tintin calender showed Tintin and Snowy in strong winds and rain.

I made a mistake about the picture of that Tintin calendar. I looked at that picture again and I saw it was actually snow, and in the second picture mentioned it was actually The Thom(p)sons, and their umbrellas.

Grand Total: 12

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!