Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Calculus Affair: an embassy error?

Jyrki21
#1 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 01:25
This occurred to me a while back, though I never got around to posting it.

In The Calculus Affair, Tintin and Haddock hold a stakeout at the Bordurian "embassy" in (or around) Geneva.

Of course, the capital of Switzerland is Bern... Borduria wouldn't have an embassy in Geneva! There are a ton of permanent missions to the UN in Geneva, but in my time there I never saw any as luxurious as the Bordurian villa.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 05:28
Pedantically speaking, as Borduria doesn't actually exist Hergé could have chosen to put it anywhere - and who could argue? :-P
I see your point, though, as most "embassies" are in the capital. I suppose one could argue that by definition an embassy is a building where an ambassdor and his staff work and permanent missions are headed by an ambassador...
Jyrki21
#3 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 21:03
I suppose one could argue that by definition an embassy is a building where an ambassdor and his staff work and permanent missions are headed by an ambassador...

You could, but you'd be wrong. :) Though you're correct that people with the title of ambassador work in missions, the distinction between embassy/consulate/permanent mission is quite rigid.

And with a couple of exceptions (I think Italy or someone keeps their embassy in Hull, Quebec instead of Ottawa), embassies, by definition, do have to be in the capital.

edit: I just checked... it's not Italy, but there's someone. Or there used to be. :)
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 21:55
I was just reading about Rolle which, according to the book, is where the Bordurian Embassy is situated.

"ROLLE is a little-visited place roughly midway between Nyon and Lausanne which lies at the heart of the La Côte wine country..."

Evidently the Bordurians were trying to keep a low profile by sticking their embassy in the middle of nowhere!
Jyrki21
#5 · Posted: 12 Dec 2004 21:59
I have been through Rolle several times... it's actually not that far from Geneva. :) Everything in Switzerland feels kind of like a small town, but every place is close to every other.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!