Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

My dog ate Tintin!

laloga
#1 · Posted: 2 Feb 2010 01:30
Well, I suppose it was my fault for leaving it within his reach....my copy of Flight 714, (that I've had for about 15 years), was laid to rest today after being eaten by my dog. Sigh. Anyway, it got me to thinking about the impermanence of the actual, physical books.

I've had to replace about one or two over the years, though my dream is to eventually replace all of them with new, pristine copies!

How many books have you had to replace, and why? Any funny (or horrifying) stories there?

Moderators: I was not sure where to put this topic, so if I need to move it, I will gladly do so! Thanks!

Moderator Note: No problem! We tend to try and keep the Tintin Books section for questions about specific stories, rather than physical copies of the albums; your topic is a bit hard to classify, but we’ll try it in Curious About Tintin?, the section which covers broader topics…

The Happy Tintinologist Team
mct16
#2 · Posted: 2 Feb 2010 14:08
I bought a copy of the "Broken Ear" when I must have been about 10. About half-way through I got to the point when Tintin has been abandoned by his guide in the rainforest. Then all of a sudden we had Tintin back in his Colonel's office being visited by Trickler and getting the news of Ramon and Alonso escaping from prison. The book ended again with Tintin who has been abandoned by his guide in the rainforest.

For a ten-year-old it was like Tintin going through the Twilight Zone. Fortunately my mum had kept the receipt so we were able to go back to the shop and buy a more decent copy.
cigars of the beeper
#3 · Posted: 2 Feb 2010 14:13
Well, I've got a couple of rather beat-up copies that I would like to replace. The damage, however, is not my fault. It is simply because I tend to buy things used, which does not always turn out best.
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 2 Feb 2010 20:55
Most of my old Methuens are looking in a rather sorry state I'm afraid to say. They're all about 40 years old and suffering from ripped covers, graffiti and food stains. I've replaced them over time with Egmonts and the 3-in-1's, but I do wish I'd taken better care of them now.

I had to replace my hardback version of Lake of Sharks once. I remember posting here about it. I was about 8 and basically my father and I picked up some friends of the family from the airport. Here is part of the original post...

Anyway, the airport formalities completed, we were on the motorway home. The lad was sitting next to me looking a bit quiet and pale.
"Do you want to read my Tintin book?" I said.
He perked up. "Yes please." With a grin.

So for the next few miles he was happily engrossed with Tintin. I happened to be looking out the window at something when I heard a weak, "Could you stop the car, please?"

I glanced around to see my Tintin book and the lad covered in vomit. He'd had the book open in front of him and it was everywhere. How he managed to do it quietly I don't know.

To cap it all off, when we eventually got home my mother had the audacity to sponge(?!) the book down and give it back to me.
I wish she hadn't.
luinivierge2010
#5 · Posted: 2 Feb 2010 23:51
My "Coke en Stock" facsimile has a "fitting" defect: the pages of the book were inserted into the binding upside down, which means that the story - which famously begins with the word "Fin" / "The End" - quite literally begins with its own (reversed) end...

It is an instance of what might be termed "cosmic irony" !
tintinophile691
#6 · Posted: 19 Apr 2010 06:41
I've always wanted to scan the pages of all my Tintin books and put them in a DVD in my bookshelf but I just don't have time. This is preserving the pages digitally... but I don't think it would be protected very well from dogs!
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 19 Apr 2010 09:07
Keep them locked up some where.
Eric
#8 · Posted: 20 Apr 2010 03:11
I am still working on collecting the whole set for the first time. I'm slowly picking up old copies on eBay, Half.com, Alibris and others. I'm a poor Ph.D. student so I've got a budget of $5.50 for each of the books. My collection includes editions from Atlantic, Joy Street-Little Brown, Egmont and range from brand new copies to a copy of Tintin in Tibet that was well loved and perhaps a bit battered before it came to me (probably why I got this one for $3, including shipping).

My school (unfortunately) laid off the entire foreign language department last year, and when they were departing, many left well-worn books in other languages in free piles outside of their offices. I got a handful of hardcover Tintin and Asterix books in the original French, and used book tape to fix them up as much as possible (a few had some mold and pages stuck together, unfortunately).

I'd love to have a full set of new books, but unfortunately can't afford them as I'd like currently. I only wish that Blake and Mortimer books were as prevalent in used editions.
snowybella
#9 · Posted: 22 Apr 2017 03:38
Seems that Flight 714 is popular with dogs. My pet terrier tried to eat the book once, which ended up with some bite marks and small holes on the top of the book.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!