Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock's finest moment?

Cutts the Butcher
#1 · Posted: 8 Aug 2013 04:07
Red Sea Sharks is not one of my personal favourites - while the action is great, I find the plot itself a bit turgid - but I will say that the scene where Haddock drives the slave-trader away in an absolute ecstasy of moral outrage might be Haddock's finest hour.

Or is it? On reflection, I'd give that palm to what might be the most fraught moment in the entire series: when, in Tintin in Tibet, Haddock prepares to commit suicide and cut the rope in order to save Tintin.

He has many hilarious moments, but these scenes have an undercurrent of moral and dramatic gravitas that sets them apart. What, to you, is his "finest hour?"
rodney
#2 · Posted: 9 Aug 2013 02:32
Maybe not his finest moment but a point when he's exhausted and completely exasperated is at the end of The Secret of the Unicorn when they are studying the parchments.

The funny point is when he's belittling Tintin and after his tirade finishes up by saying 'Thundering typhoons, what a thirst it's given me!'

That's only half of the joke, the other part being he actually never gets to enjoy the drink as it keeps being spilled in each panel thereafter!
GSC
#3 · Posted: 11 Sep 2013 22:52
Captain Haddock has had several great moments thorought the Tintin series, the one were he is about to sacrifice himself to save Tintin in Tintin in Tibet has to be my favourite one.
snowybella
#4 · Posted: 22 Apr 2017 08:18
rodney:
That's only half of the joke, the other part being he actually never gets to enjoy the drink as it keeps being spilled in each panel thereafter!

And the rest of the joke is when it first gets spilled, Snowy looks happy and then a few frames later the whisky is spilled on Snowy!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 15 May 2017 13:31
Not a "finest" moment, per se, but certainly a favourite and characteristic one, and worth remarking on not least because today is the 70th anniversary of the scene first appearing in Tintin magazine: Captain Haddock getting his come-uppance on page 21 of Prisoners of the Sun when, having been reduced to slapping the reluctant llama and insulting it, he is subjected to a dousing with a full-face of llama drool!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!