Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Black Island: How to search for the facsimile edition?

belvisionfan
#1 · Posted: 12 Jun 2017 20:14
Hello,
My favorite album has to be The Black Island. However, I can't seem to find the rare facsimile edition with Tintin walking in a kilt towards the castle.
Whenever I look it up, it doesn't come up. What should I look up (on Amazon or other legitimate bookseller websites like eBay or Abebooks) to find this edition? Thanks!

-belvisionfan
snowybella
#2 · Posted: 13 Jun 2017 01:30
On Amazon UK, I just type "tintin facsimile" (without the quotation marks) and after scrolling down a bit, I can find the facsimile edition. Is it this one you're looking for, or is it the one without the vanilla-coloured background? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Aventures-Tintin-LIle-Noire-fac-simil%C 3%A9-noir-blanc/2203011076/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1497313743&sr=8-4&ke ywords=tintin+facsimile
mct16
#3 · Posted: 13 Jun 2017 16:39
You have to bear in mind that there are three versions of "Black Island":
- the original black-and-white version of 1937
- the colourised version of 1943
- and the modernised colour version of 1965

snowybella's link gives you the black-and-white version of 1937.

The colourised version of 1943 is currently available on ebay.
belvisionfan
#4 · Posted: 13 Jun 2017 19:13
Thanks! I think I've seen a picture of an English version of the 1943 colour edition, but not exactly a facsimile I am guessing. I only saw it once for sale on Amazon.ca (Canadian Amazon) and it was about $35. In a lot honesty I should have bought it. Has anyone else seen it around? It has the same cover as the facsimile except without the bar on the side and in English.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 13 Jun 2017 20:24
belvisionfan:
It has the same cover as the facsimile except without the bar on the side and in English.

The "bar" on the side is the red spine tape, and it's the same on the English as the French.

The facsimile editions are out of print, but you could always try somewhere like The Tintin Shop in Covent Garden - they don't list it on the website, but they might just have a copy. They do ship internationally.

Otherwise, if you want to part with an eye-watering £1,967.73, there's a new copy on Amazon.co.uk...
On second thoughts, if you want to part with that kind of money, I'll sell you mine... ;-)
ignacioagote
#6 · Posted: 9 Feb 2018 18:46
I got a copy of the facsimile of "The Black Island" in French today in a visit I made to Amsterdam. The store had practically all the facsimiles in Dutch and French for around 12€, which was really cheap in my opinion. Even tough I don't speak French I got them for the art in them. Hope this helps, they are still out there!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!