Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix: are the Gauls really that fearless?

mct16
#1 · Posted: 4 Jul 2017 19:41
It is often boasted in "Asterix" that the Gauls fear only one thing: "That the sky will fall on their heads" but I wonder if that is really true?

On page 37 of "Asterix in Switzerland", he and Obelix get on board a boat where they are startled by the loud yodelling of the Helvetians. When they yodel again, Obelix jumps overboard and Asterix orders him to get back on the boat. It would appear as if the most physically powerful of the Gauls can be terrified by loud ear-splitting sounds, like that made by Cacofonix the bard.

I can imagine that Cacofonix's music terrifies people when they hear it for the first time. Take the scene in "Asterix and the Normans" when his singing teaches the Normans the meaning of fear. The Gauls in the village got used to it over time but were still annoyed enough to tie him up and gag him especially during the celebratory feasts.

So the Gauls fear the sky falling on their heads and loud music. Can there be anything else?
snowybella
#2 · Posted: 5 Jul 2017 04:00
In Asterix & Son, wasn't Cacofonix scared of the baby's strength? It's been a while since I last read it.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!