Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Identification Wanted: 7 Tintin Models

snowybella
#1 · Posted: 19 Aug 2017 02:25
Recently, a cousin of mine gave me a boxfull of Tintin figures, along with 2 similar-sized models of Rupert Bear and one of his friends (a pig). These are similar sized to the little figurines still produced today (I compared Snowy with my newer, whiter model of Snowy with Bone bought from the Tintin Shop, and the height is almost identical), and there is a total of 7 figurines -

* Calculus standing, umbrella in left hand, pointing to the sky

* Captain Haddock standing with sailor's cap on, smiling, without jacket, having left hand in pocket and holding pipe to chest with the other

* Tintin raising his right hand (left hand in pocket), in a walking position and wearing same clothes as in page 1, panel 1 in King Ottokar's Sceptre (without book)

* Tintin in his trench coat, with yellow hair instead of the usual blonde-ginger colour, holding a gun in his left hand and a binoculus in his right (interesting obvervation - the back says "(c) CS(?) Herge/Comics(?) Comics Spain")

* Snowy walking along, facing the holder with a small bone in his mouth (another interesting observation - back says "(c) HERGE BULLY MADE IN GERMANY")

* Thomson (probably) smiling, pointing to the sky with his left hand and holding cane in other

* Thompson (probably) frowning, with his cane hooked on right arm and putting fist around the side of his waist

Some more information -

* Item no. 4 (Tintin with binoculus) seems to made out of rubber, as I can bend it slightly.

* Item no. 5 (Snowy with small bone) is the most difficult to describe. It happens to be striding sideways, and bends his neck sideways (instead of looking forward, like Snowy with Bone) with the small bone in its mouth.

* Item no. 2 (Haddock with pipe) looks remarkably like he does on page 18, frames 4 to 6 of Tintin and the Picaros, except he is smiling, has his cap on, holding the pipe to his chest (like frame 5) and has only one hand in his pocket (like his left hand on frame 6).

So, has anybody on the forums heard of these models? If possbile, I would also like to know the value of these models (excluding the Rupert Bear ones). Thanks!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 23 Aug 2017 17:07
A nice gift from your cousin!

It's difficult to say much more than you have written, really, as almost all the detail you need is there.

Bully made a lot of cartoon related plastic figures, including a wide assortment of Tintin figures.
They were available in quantity for years, and the way in which some of them start to lose definition makes me think that the moulds must have deteriorated as time went on.

They are fun things, and I have one or two somewhere in a box I am sure.

Plastoy seem to have picked up the ball in recent years, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told me they were in fact the same company under a different name.

You can still find the figures you describe, and others, for sale on eBay, so if you have a look for completed sales (rather than asking prices for unsold items) you will be able to see whether ones in the same condition and quality as yours attract any interest.
snowybella
#3 · Posted: 24 Aug 2017 04:09
Thanks for the (always helpful) answer, jock123! But I see the moderator who merged my second post onto the main post (or whatever it's called) has made a small mistake - the "extra information" part seems to have duplicated itself to show extra information of 6 figures, rather than the original chosen 3...

Moderator Note:
Sorted! :-)
snowybella
#4 · Posted: 12 Jan 2018 09:14
Just in case somebody wants to check out the said figures for themselves, I have found 5 of them on Ebay, which you can see here. I have the Thom(p)sons, Tintin (not the little painted metal or plastic stand of Tintin and Snowy slipping on ice), Calculus and Haddock in the seller's collection.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!